rear suspension geometry

Started by enjenjo, April 14, 2009, 07:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I have been doing some reading, updating myself on suspension theory. Any one want to give some input on rear bar length? I found some good info here  http://home.earthlink.net/~whshope/
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

I would  think you know 'whose" pages those are?

:idea:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Crosley.In.AZ

Bill Shope

Ramchargers drag racers  were quite successful in the 60's

Bill is a purty good suspension  engineer
Tony

enjenjo

OK. Seems to know what he is talking about.

GPster

It's a good thing Linda is out of town. I'll have to print this so I can sit down and read it. I hope she put ink in the printer.It's been days since I checked this site so I am pleased that there is some subjects appearing here. I wonder if this is a book? GPster

unklian

Quote from: "enjenjo"I have been doing some reading, updating myself on suspension theory. Any one want to give some input on rear bar length? I found some good info here  http://home.earthlink.net/~whshope/

The available space will limit the maximum length of the bars.
Especially on such a small car.
Adjustable front mounts would allow changes in geometry.

enjenjo

Since this might have a big motor, or a small motor, both the front and rear of the bars will be adjustable. What I am finding says the lower bars should be from 20 to 24 inches, and the upper bars at 70 percent of that. so that's where we'll start.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"Since this might have a big motor, or a small motor, both the front and rear of the bars will be adjustable. What I am finding says the lower bars should be from 20 to 24 inches, and the upper bars at 70 percent of that. so that's where we'll start.

I am guessing that 20 - 24 inch measurement is from center to center of the  heim joint ?
Tony

enjenjo

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "enjenjo"Since this might have a big motor, or a small motor, both the front and rear of the bars will be adjustable. What I am finding says the lower bars should be from 20 to 24 inches, and the upper bars at 70 percent of that. so that's where we'll start.

I am guessing that 20 - 24 inch measurement is from center to center of the  heim joint ?

yes. and 24" is preferred to 20"

GPster

Are you thinking the bottom bars will be straight front to back paralell with the centerline of the chassis or will they have to angle in from the rear end to find a mounting place on a narrow frame? If they are mounted at very much of an angle then the length of the bars will be longer than the radius that they are arcing in. Don't know how tight those measurements are to a theory but that might make a difference. GPster

enjenjo

The arms will be parallel. Lowers and uppers. I think a watts linkage for side to side control.

Crosley.In.AZ

so , we are talking a parallel 4 bar set up , than a drag race 4 link set up?

I've been doing some reading on basic  drag race 4 link systems..  the length of bars seems to be all over the paper... even the length difference from top to bottom bars.

I am looking at the 1 1/4" diameter  bar set up from Chris Alston chassis works for my Morris project.  Many seem to use the 1 diameter tubes for direct threading for the hiem joints
Tony

enjenjo

No, it will be a drag race setup, parallel side to side, but not top to bottom.

Crosley.In.AZ

we had a 66 Chevelle  drag car in the shop.  A Lucas oil sponsored car.

the 4 link bars on it were the 1 inch diameter stuff., direct  threaded tubes..  

Measured  about 23.0 inches from rod eye to  rod eye on it.

i took some photos of it too
Tony