OT- what new vehicle

Started by Okiedokie, January 05, 2009, 01:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chopped

Quote from: "tomslik"hyundai's ain't the peice of crap they USED to be.....
still have nightmares of accents.....

kia's on the other hand.... :(D)

The wife has one, 120,000 on it with nothing but scheduled maint. Gets 38 on the highway.

Fat Cat

Quote from: "Okiedokie"Fat Cat, it sounds like you might buy another Hyundai???? I don't see the half price difference with Ford/Gm, but I have heard some good reports on their product. Is the 100,000 mile warranty something that is doable, or are the requirements hard to meet? Joe

I would buy another one. Actually if I were to replace my current daily driver (Olds Silhouette) I would replace it with a Hyundai Santa Fe. When we were looking at cars last year I had planned to replace it with a Chevy Uplander as that was the replacement for the Olds. But we could not find one with seats that felt anywhere near as comfortable as the Olds seats. We really liked the Buick Enclave but could not afford the $42,000 price tag. We then looked at a Ford Escape as my brother had one before the Hyundai and I liked it and liked the way it rode and felt from the drivers seat. When we went to look at new ones we found that they had redesigned the whole car and the interior was all wrong. The steering wheel felt like it was 4 foot away from me. My arms were fully extended with no bend at the elbow and my knees were up against the dash. Next we looked at the Ford Edge. The dealer we looked at had a 1 year old Edge Limited for $25,000. After that I told the wife we should look at the Hyundai as Brother Love liked his and I knew the cost was about the same as the 1 year old Edge. We bought our Hyundai new with 138 miles on it for $24,400 after taxes with most of the features of the Buick Enclave we looked at.

Crosley.In.AZ

The statememtn on the Hyundays is good to know
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

river1

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "river1"
Quote from: "enjenjo"He needed some warantee work on the Azera, as long as he could document regular oil changes, it was no problem.

even a non-oil related repair?

like maybe AC service?

just curious

later jim

If you can document regular service, I know of no issues with anything.

actually what i meant was if you went in for AC service, would they ask for oil change records?

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Fat Cat

Quote from: "river1"
actually what i meant was if you went in for AC service, would they ask for oil change records?

later jim

They do have regular interval services that are done by a Hyundai dealer that they will hassle you about if you do not have them done. The first one is at 3,750 miles the next one is at 15,000 and then at 15,000 miles after that. They will hassle you about warranty repairs if these srvice checks are not done. The first one was $99 and they inspect the whole car, top off all the fluids and give you a 3 page printout of everything they check. The 15,000 one is $249 and I have not had it done yet so I do not know what all they check or do.

wayne petty

i keep thinking about what HYPORX said back at the end of page one.. about rent a cars handling like waterbeds...

i would imagine that most of the suspension options selected by rent a car companys are chosen over piles of complaints about cars that ride like bricks...  

and also soft enough to prevent aggressive driving by renters from taking out the fleet... the hard way...

as for new cars... i have seen many cars go well over 200K miles without too much other than normal brakes and oil changes.... unless pushed by aggressive driving habits like normal driving with the accelerator firmly planted on the floor at every stop light..   i actually know people who drive like that...   they are forever in the transmission shop..

phat46

Quote from: "wayne petty"i keep thinking about what HYPORX said back at the end of page one.. about rent a cars handling like waterbeds...

i would imagine that most of the suspension options selected by rent a car companys are chosen over piles of complaints about cars that ride like bricks...  

and also soft enough to prevent aggressive driving by renters from taking out the fleet... the hard way...

as for new cars... i have seen many cars go well over 200K miles without too much other than normal brakes and oil changes.... unless pushed by aggressive driving habits like normal driving with the accelerator firmly planted on the floor at every stop light..   i actually know people who drive like that...   they are forever in the transmission shop..

My experience with rentals is that they are stripped down versions of nice cars. I rented a Chrysler 300 about three years ago and i couldn't believe how stripped it was, My pickup had far more options in it. I rented a Charger the next year and it was the same way. They basically came with a key and a heater. I know you can rent a "luxury" model, but I can't afford those, but I don't know if you can buy a Chrysler 300 as stripped as the one we rented. It was still a nice car and got great milage, probaby because it has a 2.7L V-6. I almost wrecked the 300 about a half mile from the rental lot. went lock to lock a couple times on some black ice on an overpass! Wasn't expecting that in North Carolina...good thing I'm from Michigan and didn't panic  :lol:

Leon

Our HHR is a former Fox Rental company car.  I was surprised when I got the build sheet to find out it had an optional "soft" suspension.  Not sure what components that includes, but I've beefed it up a bit and love the way it handles now.  It was hard to turn without wallowing before the changes.

47convert

I'd say at least try out an American car. I get a new car every year through my company and I've not had to take one in for repair in the last 5 or 6 years other than a faulty power door lock switch in one. They had that fixed while the oil was being changed. I feel their quality has dramatically improved in the last few years. I just got a new Dodge Nitro, It's the first SUV type vehicle I've ever had and I'm very inpressed - gas mileage is quite good for a fairly large vehicle and the fits and finishes are great.My wife says that's what we're getting from now on! Although I hear they may be eliminated from their product line. They're built like a Jeep, but mine is just 2 wheel drive. (rear wheel)

41woodie

Having known you longer than all of these guys I always saw you as a Peugeot or Renault kind of guy.  Maybe with subtle hints of Fiat, Alfa Romeo and Citroen thrown in occasionally.  :P

chopped

Quote from: "Crosley"

The statememtn on the Hyundays is good to know

Kia is building a monster plant on the Ga. Al. border so they soon will be built by "good ole boys"