Confessions of a car nut

Started by enjenjo, December 13, 2007, 11:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

OK, here goes.

I like real woodies, but wouldn't want to own one.  Too many down sides for me to bother with.  Fake ones, why bother?

Sports cars still have a special place for me.  More so now that you can get the quickness and agility of a sports car with the acceleration of a muscle car.  A new Z06 Corvette?  Yeah, I could drive that.

I've owned my tri5 Chevy entirely too long for the minimal work I've been able to do.  Somehow my life got really chaotic around the time I bought it.  Finally things are coming back together again and the car has waited patiently, like an old friend.

I wish I had owned more "cool" cars than I have.  But I've enjoyed driving every car I've owned.

I'm not bothered by 16" wheels, or even 17" wheels, but they need to be there for a reason.  Covering big brakes is a good reason.  Filling up big wheel wells is another.  Really enormous wheels degrade performance and tiny sidewalls don't function well on a street car.  Too much is too much.

Same goes for paint.  Including three tone paint jobs.

If I had the money I'd have trouble buying anything besides a new Roush Stage 3 Mustang.

Red wheels and WWWs don't speak nostalgia for me because I don't remember when they were current.  The old school thing is cool but not for me.  I'd rather take an old car and make it run as much as possible like a new performance car.  I won't be one of those guys driving an old car on the freeway at 10 under the speed limit because it doesn't mix well in modern traffic.  If it works for those guys fine, but it isn't for me.

A lot of old cars are unfriendly to drive.  That can be fixed.

The "orphan" cars and odd rods are great.  There should be a lot more of them.

Very few people are capable of Steve Moal or Troy Trepanier-level work.  But if you aren't doing the best work you're capable of there is no point in doing it at all.

I'm glad people restore cars but I really don't understand why they do it.  The best you end up with is still an old car.  I'd rather end up with something that looks like an old car and drives like a new car.

All of the above is just my opinion.  Just because I wouldn't build something for myself doesn't mean I don't think it's cool.  From early bangers to Ferrari Enzos there's a lot of cool out there.  It's all good.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

t-vicky

I am a big fan of woodys. Never owned one but know that it would not be the right car for me.  I don't keep my cars very clean or dry.  Once I get them built they sit outside while I build the next one.  
The only sports car that ever looked good to me was the Austin Healy & that got shot down when my neighbor got one & I seen how much trouble he had with it.  
 I once owned a 55 Chevy (belly-button car) for about 20 minutes.  Traded a truck for it, but already had it traded for a 40 Buick.  
My first car at age 14 was a 34 Chevy 3-window coupe.  I bought my next Chevy at age 55  A 1940 chevy sedan that now 10 yrs. later I must admit is the most dependable old car I have ever owned.  Still own it.
Never owned a Camaro.  Did buy the wife a 69 Firebird when they were new.  
16" tires? They come on trucks don't they?
3-tone paint? I don't even like 2-tone. (sayes the guy with a 5-tone paint job.)  
Red wheels are only for the little red ring to show around the full hubcap.  
 Would love to have a 52 or 53 Hudson. Even a 4-door
Just this old mans opinion but don't really care for much that was built after 57.  Well, maybe a few.

Bugpac

Little off topic, but crosley mentioned machines, I have one older than any of us... :D

Research has brought me to the conclusion she was born in 1910...Upgraded to electric in the 50's...And its useable, I have made a lot of parts on this old girl....

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

phat46

Never saw a woodie that looked like a "hot rod"; they're kinda neat, but don't make  a good rod.

Never had much interest in sport cars, my brother owned a Triumph TR4A when he went away to college, I was still in high school and he asked me to run it once in a while. I was scooting down a street in it one day and a guy in a Buick ran a stop sign in front of me, That sight was enough to make me quit drivin it forever!

I never got the tri five Chevy thing

Never owned, or driven a Camaro...why does that make me feel good!?

16" tires, bias ply look great on the right car (traditional) especially on 16" wires

Three tone paint?  :?

Red wheels with WWW...I love 'em

'57 T Birds...made cool looking drag cars..in 1964....

I miss the odd brand cars, my Dad got a 'Stude for a second car in the early 60's. That thing was indestructable, my brother and I tried hard to blow it up, who wanted to drive a four door 'stude to high school!??

I agree with an old car being older than you, but now there are "old" guy that were born in the 60's; they think a '65 is old and I call it a late model!

no 80's car should be restored, ever, what's the point? It would be like restoring a toaster or other kitchen appliance..... :lol:

41woodie

Well personally I like Woodies, but I'm prejudiced.  I will agree they rattle and squeak.  I like to think of it as extra personality.
Sports cars, I've owned and loved a '57 356A Porsche, I've also owned and hated a '72 XK-E Jag.  Had friends in HS with Sprites, MGA's and TR-3's.  The guy with the TR-3 got T-boned at an intersection and had a bad bruise on the side of his head shaped exactly like the other cars headlight trim!
Owned a '58 Chevy BelAir in HS with a decent running 348, that was as close to a tri-5 car as I've been.  There were some nice 57 tudor hardtops around town that I would have killed for.
Drove a friends '57 Bird for about a week while I was doing some repairs on it.  Got a lot of looks but I thought it was a POS.  Bad ride, no power etc.
I really do not like the big wheel/skinny tire look that is showing up on a lot of rods now.  15" Wheels are just right.
My dad and uncle drove and drag raced early 50's Hudsons, those old things would move for a tank.  Dean Loewy (Sp.) designed some of the prettiest cars ever built but it didn't save Studebaker.
You can tell how old I am by the fact that I don't think of 46-48 Fords as being old enough to qualify as hot rods. However my best friend (who reads RRT) has a nice 46 coupe that I make an exception for.
Three tone paint jobs don't deserve an answer!

Jbird

Bugpac, go ahead and ship me that lathe, the check's in the mail. I had a 1929 Leblond Regal, really loved that machine.  Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

Bugpac

Quote from: "Jbird"Bugpac, go ahead and ship me that lathe, the check's in the mail. I had a 1929 Leblond Regal, really loved that machine.  Jbird 8)

I have had it advertised on craigslist for only 700.00 bux for 4 months, No takers and I am kinda glad it didn't go.... I hauled this sucker home 150 miles from detroit, the old guy i bought it from wanted to just sit it down on this old wood center decked car trailer i had, I told him no way, it will go right thru with a good bump....So we found some oak 4x6's probbaly 40 yrs old, sat it on top of them...Anyhow to shorten a long story, when i was unloading it, i accidentally pulled the leg off the oak 4x6, so it dropped 4" on this wood deck trailer...Just imagine 5500 lbs dropping just 4"....Yes it went right thru, bent 2 cherry pickers, not them cheap hf jobs either....Garage door held it up....After i look back now, it was funny....But *, I thought i was gonna be heading for the scrap yard with 2 broken legs and a pile of rubble....

Sorry to get off topic here... :D
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

enjenjo

I have a 1910 Rivette toolroom lather, my favorite. Still flat belt driven.

I have a buddy near Adrian that has Henery Ford's personal lathe, documented. the Ford Museum has offered him a ton for it, but so far, no deal.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Nick32Vic

I do not desire a tri-5 chevy even though Ive been offered a fully restored one in trade.

Local car guys are weird and I dont like local car events.

Most of the local street rod guys are * to me.

I like mini-trucks, but only ones that are built with restraint and a good eye for style

Even though there are alot of cars i wouldnt want to own, I can almost always think of something cool to do to any car.

I hope 'rat rods' go out of style soon

'traditional' styled hot rods and custom are my favorite but I still like the 'high tech' cars alot

I love my car, but I don't like it at all because I know now that I can and want to build a nicer one.

I think that the majority of corvette guys are not car guys and the majority of harley guys are not bike guys. They just want to be.

I would rather watch an episode of Dexter, The Sopranos, or Seinfeld more than an episode of My Classic Car, Horsepower TV, or Pinks.

I go through phases were I cant stand working on cars and would rather do anything else, but in the grand scheme of things, working on cars is my favorite hobby of all.

Driving down the road for the first time, in a car I built, is one of the greatest things I have ever experienced.

Thats all i can think of for now. If any of my 'confessions' make you angry, just forget you read it because my opinion doesn't really matter.

Dave

Before i go get the snow off the vehicles i may as well play too

I like woodies but ive also never owned one .

My most favorite car was my 56 chevy 2 door post.

I had the chance to work on a 56 t bird and drive it all summer. I liked it and it was sure fun with the top off..

Never owned a camaro but i like em..

I hate 32 fords with the bobbed frame rails. Just doesnt look right.

I also dont care for channeled cars ..

3 tone  :?: If it aint my car then do what you want with the paint.

Rat Rods.. Go to the Hamb the love to discuss em there :lol:

I ride a Harley and ive ridden all others too.

Never owned a Vette but tried to buy a couple just didnt pan out.

No excuse for sloppy work.. Your life could count on it.

I sure dont remember everyone having wide white when i was growing up either.. I think some guys are just trying to make their own trends..

Dave

phat rat

I sure dont remember everyone having wide white when i was growing up either.. I think some guys are just trying to make their own trends

Dave, that's cause your too young. You probably never saw port-a-walls either did you?
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Dave

Quote from: "phat rat"I sure dont remember everyone having wide white when i was growing up either.. I think some guys are just trying to make their own trends

Dave, that's cause your too young. You probably never saw port-a-walls either did you?

Now Jack I said when I was growing up ok..  :?: Lets not get you started telling everyone that you were around when they invented the wheel.. There is an age difference here so your trends are different than mine.. Just because your going on 99 years old doesnt mean that ive never seen a port-a-wall either.. At least when I was growing up the kids were a little smarter as were the adults cause they didnt run WWW's  :lol:
How much snow you guys got over there? I got lucky 20 bucks and a guy with a ford and a plow..
Dave

phat rat

Naw the wheel was before me  :wink:   although you may not believe it. :lol: We got about 3" here yesterday and overnight. Yes I know there's a bit of diference in trends. You grew up in the muscle car, skinny whites or red line tires era. These pics are from spring 61 to fall 65, note everything has whites
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Dave

Quote from: "phat rat"Naw the wheel was before me  :wink:   although you may not believe it. :lol: We got about 3" here yesterday and overnight. Yes I know there's a bit of diference in trends. You grew up in the muscle car, skinny whites or red line tires era

Ya but i read all the mags and always wanted a hot rod so then i bought the t bucket and threw away 90% of it and built a better one  :lol: . That was a mistake but i sold it and broke even.. I never had any really fast cars but i did have a jet boat with a 550hp 427 in it but it didnt have white walls either..  :lol:  :lol: Back to the garage..
Dave :wink:  :arrow:

UGLY OLDS

QuoteYou probably never saw port-a-walls either did you?

Dave told me that's what they call the sides of the little stinky buildings... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****