First ride today.. Yup no plates no insurance :)

Started by Dave, October 13, 2007, 06:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: "C9"
It'll be interesting to see how long it takes someone to ask about your scoped 12 gage....

Ok ill bite .. Why.. The thing works. I used to have an 870 with a scope and all my kills were running deer. Now i gotta admit thats before I wore glasses..  :lol:  :lol:  Im good at 100 yards with the 12 gauge.. .. It rocks...
Dave :wink:  :arrow:

petrolhead

Jus Junk my last rifle was a Baikle .22 Cal that I used for rabbits mainly all were head shots mostly on the run(don't mind a feed of Rabbit in the camp oven) * good rifle that was made in Russia I think.
Regards
Petrolhead
"Dare to be different,No Cookie Cutter Car for Me"

C9

Quote from: "jusjunk"
Quote from: "C9"
It'll be interesting to see how long it takes someone to ask about your scoped 12 gage....

Ok ill bite .. Why.. The thing works. I used to have an 870 with a scope and all my kills were running deer. Now i gotta admit thats before I wore glasses..  :lol:  :lol:  Im good at 100 yards with the 12 gauge.. .. It rocks...
Dave :wink:  :arrow:

My obervations and opinion.

Us Westerners like our fast-stepping small to medium size bore centerfires with not much bullet drop over 300-400 yards or so.
And use scopes for the same reasons you do.
Generally our scopes carry a higher magnification than do the woods rifles of the East.

A touch different with target rifles, the one in the pic has a 4.5 - 14 power of exceptional clarity.
Some of the guys with similar rifles put scopes with up to 36 power on them.
Makes target shooting easy, geez, the 14x is tough to hold steady even on a bench. :wink:

Seen a few Westerners who wondered about a one power - IE: no magnificaton - scope.

All about the ability to focus on three things or not with an open sighted rifle, target, front and rear sights.
I note that with the older 22" - 24" barrel 22 rifles the sights et al are easier to focus on than the newer ones.
Has to do with layout etc.

The 1 to 1 1/2 power scopes make things easy since you only have to focus on one thing vs three.

I'm pretty sure as well you know all this, but what a lot of left coasters - hunters or not - don't realize is that a lot of Eastern hunting is done in densely forested areas making a shotgun an ideal weapon.

Many times the state mandates you must use a shotgun due to population density of hooman's in a particular area.

Peep sights work well for me on the 22's and I have one on my WW Special 22 that I bought not long after I bought the heavy barrel 10-22 target rifle.
The Special's can be hard to find so I was keeping an eye out for one since hardly anyone, anywhere in the country was seeing them and the rumor was they were being discontinued.
When I saw five of them at the local Wally World I figured I better strike while the iron is hot and I can replenish the hot rod fund later - he lied to his own self. :?

Anyway, I thought someone would ask about scoping a shotgun.
Not seen much at all out here.

We seem to compromise by scoping that old favorite, the Winchester 30-30 or the Marlin in the same caliber.

Usually a 1.5-4 power scope is chosen.
General thinking is, the 30-30 is an about 200 yards max rifle for hunting, but aside from the retained energy question, most shooters can hit a bowling ball size target at 200 yards off-hand with a peep sight so shooting your deer a little further out works fine.

I found that shooting slugs out of a 16 gage 870 worked pretty well and we were surprised at how good the accuracy was at 100 yards.
Thinking was, I'd use it in a NorCal deer hunt in the redwoods since I'd just broken the stock on my self-built sporterized small ring Mexican Mauser in 6mm Rem. :(

The day was saved when a pal loaned me his European made 257 Weatherby. :D

I missed anyway . . . but I have an excellent excuse.... :oops:  :lol:
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.