Trans cooler lines

Started by butch27, September 24, 2007, 10:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slocrow

Quote from: "midnight sun"I know this has been asked before (probably by me).  When and why is it even necessary to run a tranny cooler?  Ive run my Model A 327/350TH for about 5 years now w/o a cooler and at least to my knowledge never had a problem.

Ahhhhhhh, you mean without an additional cooler besides the radiator connection. Now I understand and so does Tony, I'm sure. Heat is the bane of automatic trannys.
By the way, I always thought the radiator/trans connection was to heat up the trans oil, to operating temp for us Northern climate drivers. So now with engines running around and over 200, does that mean the trans oil life is in more jeopardy then it use to be?   And that can't be good....Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "midnight sun"
Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "midnight sun"I know this has been asked before (probably by me).  When and why is it even necessary to run a tranny cooler?  Ive run my Model A 327/350TH for about 5 years now w/o a cooler and at least to my knowledge never had a problem.

So... you have the cooler lines loop around back into the trans?  No cooler of any type?

interesting.

The lines run directly from the bottom of the radiator directly to the tranny

ummm , that would be a tranny cooler the lines are hooked to.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

butch27

O.K.-- My thoughts on this is if you run the lines to the cooler first and Then to the trans you will have fluid returning at the SAME temp as if you just ran them to the trans.  Right?

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "butch27"O.K.-- My thoughts on this is if you run the lines to the cooler first and Then to the trans you will have fluid returning at the SAME temp as if you just ran them to the trans.  Right?

I do not understand what you mean.

here is the deal;

trans oil out from the trans is hot from the torque converter. Converter builds most of the heat in a trans.

Running the lines to an aux cooler first will reduce the temp put into the radiator cooler........ if used.  Trans oil will be stabilized to the same or near the same  temp of water going into the engine.

IF you run the cooler lines to the radiator first THEN into an aux cooler..... some more heat will be removed from the oil. This means the temperature of the  returning  trans oil will be lower than the engine coolant temp.

IF you live a cold climate and actually drive the vehicle in winter... run the cooler lines to the radiator to warm the fluid up ... this applies whether you use an aux cooler or not

I may have missed something

8)
Tony

midnight sun

So... you have the cooler lines loop around back into the trans?  No cooler of any type?

interesting.

8)

Okay my mistake.  After rereading my post  I concede that I didnt say what I wanted.  I meant to ask if it was necessary to run an auxillary cooler BESIDES the one in the radiator.
How can there be "self help" groups :?:

butch27

O.K. Tony I finally got it. No I won't be driving in cold weather even though I live in Michigan. Plus the way you said makes it easier for me to run the lines that way.  Thanks

Crosley.In.AZ

interesting.

8)

Okay my mistake.  After rereading my post  I concede that I didnt say what I wanted.  I meant to ask if it was necessary to run an auxillary cooler BESIDES the one in the radiator.

Only reason to add an aux  cooler to a trans system is for towing , high stall torque converter,  where the trans oil will get hotter .

IF your setup has been fine for years , leave it alone... change the fluid once a year or 2

8)
Tony

midnight sun

interesting.

8)

Only reason to add an aux  cooler to a trans system is for towing , high stall torque converter,  where the trans oil will get hotter .

IF your setup has been fine for years , leave it alone... change the fluid once a year or 2

8)

Okay thanks Tony.  Sorry for the confusion.
How can there be "self help" groups :?: