Style

Started by enjenjo, July 08, 2007, 12:27:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rumrumm

I spent a lot of time at the Marguerita Tent keeping out of the sun.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "rumrumm"I spent a lot of time at the Marguerita Tent keeping out of the sun.

We hobbled into there also about "noonish" on Saturday for lunch & "a liquid refreshment" ...I was looking for 40's coupe also...Never did find his...Oh well..There's always "K-Zoo".... :)
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

jaybee

I think a whole variety of things go into giving someone an identifiable style.
-Beauty is in the eye...  Alloway's cars tend to have massive wheels and exaggerated rake.  Moal's work brings to mind fine European coachwork even when the car is American track roadster style.  Coddington is famous for smoothing things out till some people feel they have no personality.  I picked these well-known examples because they're different but all have great following within the hobby.
-I like to work in...  If there's something aspect of building that you really enjoy, chances are you're going to put a lot more detail in that part of the build as opposed to something you can't wait to finish.  For some that's elaborately formed sheet metal, for some frames and other heavy steel parts, for some detailed paint techniques, or bracketry and specially built parts, or custom interiors, or killer engines.
-Tools.  If you don't have a lathe, milling machine, and similar machine tools you probably aren't going to carve a chunk of aluminum into your own interpretation of a beehive oil filter.  That's not a denial that people turned out some amazing work with minimal tools and equipment in days gone by.  If anything it's a recognition that those guys were/are even more talented and determined than we'd like to think.
-Time.  If you're building a car to drive, it would be nice to drive it eventually.  Or maybe not if building is what trips your trigger.  If you're building it for someone else obviously there's a billable hours vs profit margin vs customer check book issue.
-Talent.  If you have limited design talent and you're skill level is limited to bolt-ons your car will look like it drove out of the Jegs catalog.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.  Lots of bolt ons have been sold to lots of happy customers over the years.

Don't know if that contributes anything to the discussion, but those are my thoughts on the subject.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"ok, how'd ya do dat?
kinda like the old "lace"?

tom..... you shoot the black colour... install the fish net stuff, shoot the lighter color.

I think that is how it's done.

not that i ever painted cars before.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)