Assembled vehicle titles in michigan..

Started by Dave, April 26, 2007, 02:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rochie

Dave,
we have to pay our federal tax on a purchase on the Canadian side of  the border.  We get to pay the provincial sales tax at our DMV, along with a safety check and an emissions test...THEN they will give us a title.  Great life if you don't weaken.
Wayne

Dave

Quote from: "Rochie"Dave,
we have to pay our federal tax on a purchase on the Canadian side of  the border.  We get to pay the provincial sales tax at our DMV, along with a safety check and an emissions test...THEN they will give us a title.  Great life if you don't weaken.
Wayne

Well Wayne the secretary of state just told me no way :!:  The owner will have to title it in canada then get some customs papers :?: and then it can be sold to me here in michigan.. I just emailed the guy and told him the story and also told him he is still more than welcome to come down so we can look a each others stuff to make sure we do have a trade. He may not like my pile o parts :lol: Im not trying to screw anyone thats why he needs to look. I did tell him though that i wouldnt make the trade unless he has valid canadian title for the bike. I have a substantial investment and im not gonna trade for a bike i cant title or license.. Im glad i called cause i coulda screwed my self..
Dave

UGLY OLDS

QuoteWell Wayne the secretary of state just told me no way :!:  The owner will have to title it in canada then get some customs papers :?: and then it can be sold to me here in michigan.. I just emailed the guy and told him the story and also told him he is still more than welcome to come down so we can look a each others stuff to make sure we do have a trade. He may not like my pile o parts :lol: Im not trying to screw anyone thats why he needs to look. I did tell him though that i wouldnt make the trade unless he has valid canadian title for the bike. I have a substantial investment and im not gonna trade for a bike i cant title or license.. Im glad i called cause i coulda screwed my self..
Dave

Nice catch Dave....Hey Wayne/Dave/guys...ck out the thread I posted...Anybody wanna move to "ill-a-noise"   :x  :x  :?:  :?:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

GPster

Quote from: "jusjunk"The owner will have to title it in canada then get some customs papers :?: Dave
Sometimes reality falls in "The rest of the Story". When they say it will be "easy for you" they really mean easier than it would be for them. I'd rather be holding the title for a '32 roadster. GPster

Dave

Well I got an email back and the guy says he will get it titled in canada.. Ok I guess he will be here tomorrow to compare motorcycles to piles o parts :!: Ill be carefully feling this deal out as of now.. At least I know what I would like to do and thats a even no money deal. Any money then forget it ill put the money in the roadster. He is supposed to show here about 1pm tomorrow afternoon and its gonna be 70 tomorrow so i hope to get this done early and ride my bike  :lol:  .. Ill get back with ya's...
Dave

Rochie

DAve,
I know that this is the other guy's ( the bike owner) responsibility, but I wonder if he has checked with the "Registrar of Imported Vehicles" (RIV) over here regarding the admissability of your car entering Canada. I'm not sure but is your car a fiberglass body? IF it is he is going to have a major headache.  The RiV has a list of vehicles that are allowed and a list of those not allowed to be imported into Canada.  Kit cars are on that list of inadmissable.  Here's the website  http://www.riv.ca/  
Good Luck, Wayne

Arnold

There didn't used to be anything that you could not bring in,register and drive into Canada.
Next stage was that basically anything still could come in but that minor modifications may have been  required
Next stage=major modifications
Next stage= many vehicles can't come in. This is IMPORTANT! for anyone thinking of bringing a U.S. vehicle into Canada. There doesn't seem to be a good reason why some are not allowed in.And often it is simply impossible to find out why vehicle "X" can't come in. The answer is just NO. ("Ask your mother/Ask your father".."Because") If the vin says no. Then it can't come in. Some vehicles are manufactured here..and destined for U.S. or Export markets.. and are absolutely 100% identical to the ones made here. Some of these vehicles can..and have been registered in Canada. Now that they are here they can stay. A vehicle that is allowed to be registered/stay here in Canada is a WHOLE diifferent ball game than bringing that same vehicle here.
Now..as mentioned..it has to be on the RIV . If any modifications are required..they are listed.

The vehicle  has to go to an "authorized depot" to make sure it is on the RIV,what modifcations if any are required,the work has to be done/have been done.It then must meet our own safety and emmissions standards.

The above must be done within a certain time frame or the vehicle has to be sent back to the U.S.

HotRodLadyCrusr

Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Dave

Most times just life acn be a PITA :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Well a little update...
The guy was here but he didnt bring the bike he wants me to take a run up there to check it out and he will go ahead and get it titled. He told me he could just take the roadster back in pieces and it wouldnt be a problem :?:
Very nice guy and some pretty cool stories he has about knowing Jessie James :!:  So now we gotta make time to take a run up to his place. Id like to go anyway just to go. Its been years since ive been to Canada. Might be a nice bike ride :!:
Dave :arrow:  :wink:  :arrow:

Rochie

Dave,
I just brought back a chevy S-10 from Michigan and didn't have a problem. Of course, I did have all the correct paperwork and I do know the guys that work at one of the "RIV's" agent, so all iI needed was a safety and emission test. A friend of mine bought an aluminum 427ci Cobra from Superformance in Montana and tried to get it across.  The customs guy said "Show me one piece of the car that is original and I'll let it in".  Well.....no original parts on the car,  wasn't allowed in, and my friend was charged with fraudulently importing a vehicle into Canada and fined $15,000.00. Ironic thing was a doctor in Calgary imported one 3 weeks prior to this. My buddy had Superformance call the Doc and pass on his number so he could talk to the doc before he tried to import the car. The Doc said with the correct paperwork and lead time for the US customs everything went great! I guess it's all in how you present the car and paperwork or more to the point "how the customs guys are feeling on that day". The customs boys are pretty powerful.  If they say it's not coming in, it ain't coming.  
The bike guy may get the car into Canada as parts, but it won't get registered legally as a 32 roadster. If you know what I mean.
Where is he located Dave, if you're going by we could get together and grab a beer or what ever.  Let me know.
Wayne

Dave

He said he was in ontario near port huron. I dont know exactly where. My next problem is im booked all this month. June would be the earlies i could run up and even then its kinda iffy. Bill the owner of the bike just wants me to look at it first heis very honest as far as i can tell and he told me he didnt want to shaft anyone and i feel the same way. I lost the pics of the bike but he could send more and even though ive never seen it the pics represent it well and im not afraid of doing the deal if i see it or not. He even told the wife and i if the deal doesnt go down feel free to give em a holler and come up anyway. He isnt far from a couple rece tracks and one of em i know the auto value spints race at like 2 times a summer.. More fun..
Ill let ya know when i set sumpin up and i appreciate the invite. I can cross to canada either in port huron or detroit either way..If im on the bike i like to change things up for different scenery..
Dave

Rochie

Dave,
if you're on a ride or in the coop, I'm in London, a 2 hour ride/drive from Windsor and 1hour from Port Huron.  Get hold of me OK
Wayne

Dave

Quote from: "Rochie"Dave,
if you're on a ride or in the coop, I'm in London, a 2 hour ride/drive from Windsor and 1hour from Port Huron.  Get hold of me OK
Wayne

I will do that..
Dave