effects of rain on exposed motors

Started by chpd46, February 17, 2007, 10:27:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

Quote from: "chpd46"I have not been able to find a water pump raising kit , I'd like to do that to get the fan up to the middle of the radiator  I'd like to do this -
An other idea. Unfortunately the '60s was before the long water pump Chevys (and the mounting holes tapped in the front of the heads) but  it was the time of the long extensions bolted between the pump pulley and fan. If you have room between the fan and the radiator why couldn't you take the short water pump and raise it up and move it further from the block. I've always invisioned this done by making "S" shaped flow pieces out of short sections of rectangular tubing that have been capped at the ends. Take the tube and drill two holes clear through from one side to the other to conform to one pair of water pump holes in the front of the block. Now use a hole saw and drill a water flow hole between those two holes but only on one side of the tube. Now at the other end of that tube section repeat the drilling and hole sawing but do the hole sawing on the oposite side of the tube from the first hole. This should give you a piece of rectangular tube that can be bolted on the front of the block (with the hole sawed hole against the water passage). Now at the other end of that tubeyou could fasten the water pump using long bolts with nuts so that the water passage of the pump was against the other hole sawn opening. Now if you can follow my directions this far you should have the water pump spaced away from the block the width of the rectangular tube and raised up the distance of spacing between the two pairs of holes. If you made 2 of these rectangular tube pieces and put one over each water passage on the front of the block and to each side of the water pump you'd have the pump moved and stable. Now the pump is going to be as far foreward as the width of the rectangular tube so you'd have to have that much room . my original idea was to do this on an engine with a long water pump and replace it with a short pump and pick rectangular tube of the right thickness so everything lined up but if you have room you can play around with this and what you've got. Have to leave but I'll re-read this when I get back. GPster

chpd46

at one time there were pump risers made for just this situation , on my truck there is no spare room, about a fingers worth between the fan and Rad w no extension. I took a pic, the drivers side is no better even w/o the lower rad hose

GPster

Quote from: "chpd46"at one time there were pump risers made for just this situation , on my truck there is no spare room, about a fingers worth between the fan and Rad w no extension. I took a pic, the drivers side is no better even w/o the lower rad hose
I just re-read my post and I guess it's understandable. If I could draw pictures I'd submitt it to "Tech Weak". I think the one you're refering to is the casting that is made to use some 6 cylinder pump with a short shaft. With that much of a discription maybe someone else here can come up with a name. Maybe Henry was thinking ahead when he made the wheelbase 3" longer on the '32s than the Model "A"s were. GPster

chpd46

It was clear enough , but thats not my main worry at the moment,I'll delve into that more if I have heating problems (and probably will) - I am thinking of building a bracket like this to mount the Gen up higher and in.I'd really like to retain a generator (yah, I know about the Gen. "look" alternators, But $$$$$ I don't have)

WZ JUNK

Hooley runs a blower motor in his model a with no hood.  He says it runs even better in the rain.  That makes for some interesting driving in a high powered light weight car that makes more power when it rains.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

GPster

Quote from: "chpd46"I am thinking of building a bracket like this to mount the Gen up higher and in.
I've seen a bracket like that before but unfortunatelywith any revs on the motor it would keep throwing the belt. GPster

chpd46

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Hooley runs a blower motor in his model a with no hood.  He says it runs even better in the rain.  That makes for some interesting driving in a high powered light weight car that makes more power when it rains.

John
Dang. I bet it does kind of like driving a fat tired tubbed car I bet, LOl

chpd46

Quote from: "GPster"
Quote from: "chpd46"I am thinking of building a bracket like this to mount the Gen up higher and in.
I've seen a bracket like that before but unfortunatelywith any revs on the motor it would keep throwing the belt. GPster
I would support it from the other side in some way to reduce vibration/bouncing + use a deep groove pulley as well as a high quality lugged belt. That should take care of the belt throwing, been down that road B4 w a 10 grand red line race motor,deeper pulleys can work wonders. the pulleys on GM ALTs/Gens interchange usually, but I doubt this motor will ever see 5 grand shifts.