3-piece OR 4-piece hood for glass '32?

Started by rltaylor46, November 27, 2006, 05:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rltaylor46

:?: I need opinions, PLEASE.  I'm just starting a glass '32 3-window, and since it's my first fiberglass car, I don't know which way to go on the hood. Oh, I know I want a stock look, w/louvers.  But, I can get that either way.  My question is, which would be the easiest to install?  Not knowing what sort of alignment issues I might run into, logic kinda tells me that a 3-piece may be easier, since each panel is installed separately.  But, maybe that's just not the case. I don't know.  What do you folks think?  3 or 4-piece?  If I go with a 3-piece, I read somewhere here that a Hagan hood might fit a glass body better.  Yes??  If I go with a 3-piece, whose hinge/opener kit is best? I have most everything already, or on the way.  So, just need to buy a hood to get started fitting everything up.
Thanks all for your help  8)

C9

If you want the stock look then the four piece hood is a given.

The three piece hoods can be tough to get aligned properly and for that reason - as well as the above - I'd opt for a four piece hood.

Another small, but can be hair-tearing for some is that the three piece hood side panels need a retaining device on the bottom.
It can be as simple as a 1/4" steel pin that matches a bracket on the bottom of the hood side panel or even simpler, a stock type latch.
In either case, the hood will require a 1/2" x 1" rectangular tubing piece on each side for the three piece hood side panels to hang from.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Dave

I like a 3 piece for looks but for ease of working on the car a 4 piece it the way to go. Yup the 3 piece is a * to align and im working on a 32 roadster and i dont like the way mine is comming out and on my coupe i was gonna throw it all away and then  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Some how it all came into play :!:
I had a 29 model a years ago that I made my own 3 piece aluminum hood. It was nice and looked great but I got some extra cash and I bought a 4 [piece and never regretted it.
Dave  :!:  :wink:  :arrow:

Jokester

My last two had four piece hoods.  The only drawback I've found is that rain water drips in on the distributor and air cleaner.  If your car never sees rain then I guess that's not a problem.

My next car is one piece tilt off front end.  No more rain problems.

my 2 cents.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.