Drill Doctor

Started by richard 36dodge, April 14, 2006, 02:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomslik

Quote from: "rooster"
Quote from: "Dirk35"Awesome!

I hate Dull Drill bits, and have never learned how to sharpen them correctly. I ordered the 3/4 one. Thanks George.

I too! ordered the 3/4 !  During check out I didnt see anything about the 15.00 rebate. I guess that comes in the package. Been wanting one of these for a while now. Thanks for the lead George.

they don't allow me to have sharp objects.......

judging from my bits...

hey, do they make one that'll go to 1"?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

C9

Quote"tomslik
they don't allow me to have sharp objects.......

judging from my bits...

hey, do they make one that'll go to 1"?

Looks like 3/4" is it.

http://www.genext.drilldoctor.com/index.php
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

purplepickup

After looking at their site, it looks like Drill Doctor has added new models and the ones on Amazon are the older ones (they call them classic).  I didn't know that but the old style work very good.
George

rooster

I got my drill doctor a few months ago, I now have the time to try it out, I just watched the video last night.

Before I start I would like to see what I can do about cleaning up some old bit that were handed down to me over the years, alot of them have rust on them! Any sugestions on how to do this?

Also how do you tell the difference between a bit that is made to drill wood or steel?

donsrods

Also how do you tell the difference between a bit that is made to drill wood or steel?

General they will be stamped with HS or High Speed I think. (doing that from memory)

Don

rooster

I got started on the bits this weekend, cleaned them in carb cleaner. All I could find was a few with HS stamped on them. I did all of them at 135 degrees and split them. The machine does a good job, and the bits are sharp, I tryed a few out. It was hard to see in the little window to align the fluts of the bit for the grind position. I had a forehead mounted light that worked well for seeing . Its time consuming but worh it. I will have plenty of backup bits stock piled! Will probely have to get a replacement wheel by time im done.

Pep

I have never used one before..looks fairly complicated...I was taught when I was young, in my first year as a trainee technician how to sharpen them on a bench grinder. We used a small guage to set the angle on the tool stock. Once that was done, it was just a push and vertical lift action. When I bought my bench grinder, it already had the "V" angle made into the stock, so it took the guess work out a lot. Done me fine for many years, the only problem I have now is I can't see the smallish drills to clear now...anything under 1/8" I'm buggard....guess that is the price of wisdom....everthing else starts to fail :wink:
See Ya
Pep