Video, the #974, Bonneville

Started by WZ JUNK, July 30, 2006, 01:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FATGMC

Quote from: "purplepickup"I'm going to frantically be installing window bars and reinforcing doors and jambs this week.  I saw the way his doors split wide open so I'm going to plate both sides of mine.  I'm making some plans right now to have some pieces laser cut so that I can sandwich the door between plates at the lock/deadbolt and hinge areas.  That might cut into the Louisville part of my vacation but I'd feel a lot more comfortable if I can take care of that before I leave.

I'm not bringing a trailer or harley but I am bringing the pit bike I made over the winter.  If the camper is still available I'd be happy in there. :D

George it is no fun being broke into or worrying about getting broke into.  I've had the store broke into once and other attempts.  Most people don't try and break in.  They just come in while I'm here and shoplift :cry: .

The time I was broke into they took nothing as the alarm went off and they had already broke into 2 other places in town and didn't want to get caught.  The alarm called me and the cops and we got to the building pretty quick.  Now that I live next door I don't worry quite as much.

When I got broke into they kicked a side door down and like you said it just tore the door frame all to pieces.  

Here are some pictures that might give you some ideas.

This is the door that got kicked in.  First thing I did was put really long grabbers through the door frame into the 2 X 6 framing and I did the same with the two latch cutouts.  Then I made this bar and put the wood spacer between it and the door.  It is secured by the large lag bolts that go into the main building framing.  Since I don't use this door I put a piece of plywood over it from the outside and secured it with about 50 grabbers.   Unless they bring a screw gun they aren't going to unscrew all of those by hand.  I would think about doing this in your case for the windows and maybe the door as it would be a quick fix until you got back home.  

This is the door we use to enter the building.  I made this angle plate that is held into the main building framing with lag bolts and secures the dead bolt.

Someone tried to mess with the dead bolt once so I made this protector from a hinge and square tubing.

It closes over the deadbolt key so it is hard to now mess with the dead bolt and is secured with a pad lock that would be hard to get a hacksaw on.

Of course it is impossible from keeping someone out if they are determined enough.  I just hope to slow them down to the point where they might go some place else.

Julie's camper is still "under construction" but the camp trailer is available and the "sunroom" unless Jim changes his mind :wink: .  If you don't go to L'ville come here early and hang out and relax :D .

c ya soon,

Sum

purplepickup

Thanks for the tips Sum.   Good ideas. :idea:

I got plates from the laser cutter today.   They will sandwich the door using carriage bolts at the hinges and lock areas to keep it from splitting open.  Been reinforcing the jambs too.

I didn't go to Louisville.  After the neighbor's shop was broke into, I got paranoid since I didn't have anything on my doors except cheap locksets so I stayed home add good locks and make things a little more secure.

I PM'd ya.
George