So...who's still going to Bonneville?

Started by Charlie Chops 1940, July 25, 2005, 09:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

About 2 PM here friday ....as I type this we are in salt lake city.  will be at  the salt on saturday morning...

I'll be pedaling a little  bicycle to get around the race pits.  laugh if you wish, just don't point.  :shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Charlie Chops 1940

Sharon and I pulled into Muskegon about 1:30 this afternoon (8/20). A longish trip at 5,742 miles.. Ohio Blue Tip?Ken left with us Tuesday morning in the rain - I think any salt that was left under the car and trailer got blown out.

We made Jackson, WY that night with plans to head into Yellowstone on Wed. On the way up to meet Ken in Teton Park I lost overdrive in the 700R. It was down on fluid so I added a quart and a half (all I had) and made it to where Ken was. Got 3 more qts in and headed out only to find it blew right back out the vent. After consulting with Sum and a friend back home via the cell we decided to head back to Jackson at a moderate speed - if we could. Well. we did and it worked fine in 3rd. We found a  friendly repair shop that let me borrow a jack and stands so I could get a look at the bottom side. Everything looked okay, no loose connections, etc. Talked to TPI (their trans) and they thought I toasted 4th gear. Told them I was gonna head home in 3rd. figuring that every hour closer to homw would make it easier to get someone to come and get me. Their advice was to watch the temp and go for it.

Almost 1700 miles in 3rd (1:1) with 3.55 gearing was a bit nerve wracking and after the first couple hundred at 55-ish I bumped it up to 65-70 with no ill effects other than *-poor mileage. Ken boogied on ahead mi-day Friday as he need to be back for commitments today. We could have but we were still on our trip and it appeared we were on a winner in any event.

About 10 miles from home I snicked her up into 4th and she immediately burped out fluid, so back into 3rd she went. I think I'm a lucky man to have such a good car and a patient wife.

As for diagnosis, I really haven't a clue exactly what went wrong. I'll listen to any ideas.

Glad to be home.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

1FATGMC

Charlie I'm glad you made it.  I was worried and called a couple times, but just got your message.

I'm glad the both of you got to come by here  :D .

c ya, Sum

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "1FATGMC"Charlie I'm glad you made it.  I was worried and called a couple times, but just got your message.

I'm glad the both of you got to come by here  :D .

c ya, Sum

Just another part of being a hot rodder. Gotta take the bad with the good.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Bob K

Glad you made it home OK, tried to call you on your cell Tuesday afternoon just before I got to Rocky's.

Later

B 8) B
Have you ever wondered how your mother knew enough about people like me to warn you about us?

Charlie....Missed seeing you in Louisville....Glad you made it safely home!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"