OBT gets new ride

Started by Ohio Blue Tip, February 24, 2005, 09:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio Blue Tip

Quote from: "GPster"Just remember, shortening the arc of the pittman arm is going to quicken the steering and increase the steering effort. If you need additional clearance for the steering crosslink maybe you can put a "Z" in the pittman arm to shorten the arc and lower the tie-rod like the jacked-up "4 wheelers" do. Another thing would be maybe you can build a plate with both the steerin box frame mount location and holes where you want the steering box to be. A piece of 1/2" plate should hold the threads for Grade 8 fasteners an that would only move the box towards the engine that much. If you have a "U" joint at the box you could also twist the box up or down to get the tie-rod end of the pittman arm in a better place. Just ideas, I'm NOT trying to tell you how to cook. GPster

I am modifying the pitman arm with a Z bend.  The arm is now 6" center to center and will end up about 5.5", which is about 8%.  I will then test the steering effort and determine if it is acceptable.  If I have to move the box, I will have to remove the engine/trans and re-fabricate the engine mounts, cut out the old box mounting plate and weld in a new one.  I really don't want to do that because of time constraints.  (Want to be on the road when the sun shines)  We will see???????  Ordered $400 worth of parts yesterday and maybe a few hundred more today, at this rate I won't be able to retire until 2050
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

n.c.rodder

It's going to be a sweet ride anyway. I'm not trying to stir anything up, but all work aside, aren't you glad you went with this car instead of the pick-up? :D

Mike
Till we meet - On the street

Ohio Blue Tip

Quote from: "n.c.rodder"It's going to be a sweet ride anyway. I'm not trying to stir anything up, but all work aside, aren't you glad you went with this car instead of the pick-up? :D

Mike

YES.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

Dave

Quote from: "Ohio Blue Tip"A little progress report;
I've been assessing and working on the new ride and it's going to be a little more work than expected (Isn't it always?)  Starting at the front, I find the Vega steering box is a little to far forward and the pitman arm needs modification (hope this well correct the problem instead of cutting the box out).  The SS tie rod was bent for clearance but I can straiten that.  The cotter pins would not easily go into the castled nuts on the chrome tie rod ends, so they welded them on.  Well the good news is all parts are the good ones and I can save it.
Next a proper steel 6 blade fan and shroud for the walker radiator are in order.
Then the plywood on the firewall and dash have to go.
All the plumbing and wiring need to be fastened down and properly routed.
The 9" rear needs a gear change and the lowering blocks need a little off the top to raise the rear a little.
Then a rear spreader bar to help fabricate a hitch.
And on and on.
Not complaining, just reporting, I knew the work was there and got a good deal on a lot of parts.  Wow I'm tired already.
:?

I think you said this is built on a stock frame ? Does it have the stock spreader bar? Ive got some tubing at work that will go over the ends of a stock spreader bar and its good heavy stuff. Thats what I did on my 34 although I didnt have a hitch. If you need or want a piece lemme know.
Dave

Fuzzy

Not bad Ken,I like it!!!!!! 8)  I got my body rotisserie last week,now I've got to finish up a few things before I can flip'er over.Fun-fun-fun.
Fuzz
No billet for this kid!