OBT gets new ride

Started by Ohio Blue Tip, February 24, 2005, 09:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRD57

Quote from: "Ohio Blue Tip"Plan is to run in primer this year and work all the bugs out.

Where have I heard THAT before?

Dangerous plan

rumrumm

It doesn't look like you went crazy, it looks like you got smart and picked up a potentially awesome ride. Congrats, Ken.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Dave

Quote from: "Ohio Blue Tip"I went crazy and bought a new project,  Should be on the road in the spring. :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

I like it...
Dave

Dirk35

Thats Awesome!

Ive been kicking the idea around to try to trade my 35 PU and some cash for a 33-34 sedan when it gets road worthy. The 33-34 SEDAN is my dream vehicle!

n.c.rodder

Quote from: "Ohio Blue Tip"I went crazy and bought a new project,  Should be on the road in the spring. :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Pinch me ---- I must be dreaming!!!!!

You going to have it on the road by May 14th for the Appreciation Day? I'll save you a couple of hot dogs if you do!

Mike
Till we meet - On the street

Charlie Chops 1940

Mike,

Where's the Appreciation Day going to be?

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

n.c.rodder

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Mike,

Where's the Appreciation Day going to be?

Charlie

It's at Classic Instruments - Boyne City, MI

(Did you finally kick Ken's butt out & told him to get his own wheels??)

Mike
Till we meet - On the street

Charlie Chops 1940

Yeah. No ride. no ride. LOL
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

purplepickup

Kenny I want to add my congratulations on your new project.  I'll bet its going to feel good to be back in your own rod again.  

I hope you're saving enough vacation for a run to Bonneville this year. :D
George

slocrow

Quote from: "purplepickup"I hope you're saving enough vacation for a run to Bonneville this year. :D

Should be a good size group :lol: Oh yeah, nice car buddy. Good luck with her..........Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Ohio Blue Tip

Quote from: "purplepickup"Kenny I want to add my congratulations on your new project.  I'll bet its going to feel good to be back in your own rod again.  

Glad to see you're up to typing again, we miss ya.  Get that foot better so we can jog up the hills in Utah.
Definitely going to the salt this year.  I plan on going to the Nats and heading west on Sunday.  If I don't go to LA in June, I plan on the HAMB drags.
This 34 project is getting bigger by the minute, all the right parts, but not put together as they should be.  Ya, I can save it, just lots of labor, which is cheap but time is always at a premium.  Oh well in 18 months or less there well be more time.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

Dave

Quote from: "Ohio Blue Tip"
Quote from: "purplepickup"Kenny I want to add my congratulations on your new project.  I'll bet its going to feel good to be back in your own rod again.  

Glad to see you're up to typing again, we miss ya.  Get that foot better so we can jog up the hills in Utah.
Definitely going to the salt this year.  I plan on going to the Nats and heading west on Sunday.  If I don't go to LA in June, I plan on the HAMB drags.
This 34 project is getting bigger by the minute, all the right parts, but not put together as they should be.  Ya, I can save it, just lots of labor, which is cheap but time is always at a premium.  Oh well in 18 months or less there well be more time.

Humm maybe its time to come to your place and get the car ready. Im sure The BBQ is pretty well all set now.
Dave :wink:

cre8tor

Looks awsome Kenny.

Keep us posted on the progress.

Cheers ,

Mark.

Ohio Blue Tip

A little progress report;
I've been assessing and working on the new ride and it's going to be a little more work than expected (Isn't it always?)  Starting at the front, I find the Vega steering box is a little to far forward and the pitman arm needs modification (hope this well correct the problem instead of cutting the box out).  The SS tie rod was bent for clearance but I can straiten that.  The cotter pins would not easily go into the castled nuts on the chrome tie rod ends, so they welded them on.  Well the good news is all parts are the good ones and I can save it.
Next a proper steel 6 blade fan and shroud for the walker radiator are in order.
Then the plywood on the firewall and dash have to go.
All the plumbing and wiring need to be fastened down and properly routed.
The 9" rear needs a gear change and the lowering blocks need a little off the top to raise the rear a little.
Then a rear spreader bar to help fabricate a hitch.
And on and on.
Not complaining, just reporting, I knew the work was there and got a good deal on a lot of parts.  Wow I'm tired already.
:?
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

GPster

Just remember, shortening the arc of the pittman arm is going to quicken the steering and increase the steering effort. If you need additional clearance for the steering crosslink maybe you can put a "Z" in the pittman arm to shorten the arc and lower the tie-rod like the jacked-up "4 wheelers" do. Another thing would be maybe you can build a plate with both the steerin box frame mount location and holes where you want the steering box to be. A piece of 1/2" plate should hold the threads for Grade 8 fasteners an that would only move the box towards the engine that much. If you have a "U" joint at the box you could also twist the box up or down to get the tie-rod end of the pittman arm in a better place. Just ideas, I'm NOT trying to tell you how to cook. GPster