What fun I had tonite.

Started by Dave, February 07, 2005, 07:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

Quote from: "slocrow"No sniffer laws indeed. And why not? Oh yeah, everything just blows into Canada.
They're talking pretty serious about sniffer laws in SW Mich.  We're getting high pollution levels because of all the crap blowing in from Chicago and Gary, Indiana.  They don't care that WE don't pollute....just that our levels are over the limit.  It sucks....or blows.... depends on where you're at :roll:
George

BELLM

AAH!  Memories!!!  3 x2s with miiles of clear plastic fuel lines going to a block on the firewall, looking red in color from the premium leaded fuel flowing through them, what a beautiful sight.....until a backfire caught that blankety blank leaking carb on fire and melted all that pretty fuel line that  held like 5 gallons of gas each before I got the fire put out!!!  No aircleaners, just put a new cam in, my Dad came out grabbed a waterhose.....got to drive it again several weeks later after getting all the water out of the engine.
Sweet memories, aah to be 16 again...... :)

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"short of reprogramming the puter, i can't imagine what(on obdII)

IF you have to be sniffed, you need to have stuff working properly,.
if not, you just "tampered" with the emissions system and COULD be fined depending on who you are...
that's federal and not state law...

or you could just fix it right....

tomslik,

have you seen the program that can be used on a laptop that plug into the on board OBDII  computer?

You can go in and alter many things in a live screen.

looky here
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

CruZer

Dave, There is a notice out about the O2 wiring harness that runs by the passenger side exhaust manifold getting too close to the manifold and burning up on S10's with the 4.3  . This happened on my '98 S10 and fixing the wires solved the check engine light problem.I replaced both sensors before I discovered that it was the wiring.

32tom

Since it's OBDII (96 and up)the light will come back on after about 50 miles. The rear sensor will sense that the converter is gutted and kick a code. We have to use the more expensive OBDII converter in the exact location to prevent come backs.

Another word of caution many of the cheaper aftermarket converters say OBDII "compliant"  My supplier cautions me about trying to use one where the more expensive PT# is specified in the catalog. I don't like comebacks and use the aftermarket converter that the company recommends in their catalog. It's worked so far.

Gutting the converter may make it run better but you may not have fixed the problem. Usually it's excess fuel that doesn't burn in the cylinders and travels down to the converter where it burns and melts the substrate. Faulty O2 sensors or tune up problems can cause this.

If it were my sons car I'd replace all the O2 sensors and the converter that was tested and aproved for that application. It's the old "do it once" theory

I made a lot of money in the 80's removing converters and making custom dual exhaust. It's a whole new ballgame now. None of the old standards apply anymore on post 1996 vehicles
Too dumb to know any better and too old to care.

Crafty

Don't know if it applies to the vehicle in question but some systems have pre and post cat sensors to determine if the cat is working, if the reading from the two sensors is the same ( or similar ) it will flag the check light as it will believe the cat isn't doing its stuff.
if you find this is the problem just go get another cat from a junkyard, they are normally pretty horrifically priced new.

Cats do break up internally, one of my old dailies had this issue, luckily it was old enough for me to remove it and not worry. In the UK any car registered from 1st August 1992 have much stricter emissions limits, that require a cat to pass. You have to pass emissions tests as part of the MOT (roadworthy test) every year, without an MOT certificate you can't insure the car or tax it ( we pay about $300 a year just to drive on public roads )  and if you don't tax it they'll catch up with you.. quite apart if you get pulled etc ( its an offence not to have insurance, another offence not to have a valid MOT and yet another not to have a valid tax disc ).
So no big fines, but you can't legally use the car. I used to swap the cat in and out for each MOT on my last daily driver.

Take a look around that S10forum someone posted, it is possible to read quite a few injection systems by using a paper clip in the diagnostic socket and counting flashes on the check engine light. This is mostly motronic (bosch) systems.

Dave

Quote from: "Crafty"Don't know if it applies to the vehicle in question but some systems have pre and post cat sensors to determine if the cat is working, if the reading from the two sensors is the same ( or similar ) it will flag the check light as it will believe the cat isn't doing its stuff.
if you find this is the problem just go get another cat from a junkyard, they are normally pretty horrifically priced new.

Cats do break up internally, one of my old dailies had this issue, luckily it was old enough for me to remove it and not worry. In the UK any car registered from 1st August 1992 have much stricter emissions limits, that require a cat to pass. You have to pass emissions tests as part of the MOT (roadworthy test) every year, without an MOT certificate you can't insure the car or tax it ( we pay about $300 a year just to drive on public roads )  and if you don't tax it they'll catch up with you.. quite apart if you get pulled etc ( its an offence not to have insurance, another offence not to have a valid MOT and yet another not to have a valid tax disc ).
So no big fines, but you can't legally use the car. I used to swap the cat in and out for each MOT on my last daily driver.

Take a look around that S10forum someone posted, it is possible to read quite a few injection systems by using a paper clip in the diagnostic socket and counting flashes on the check engine light. This is mostly motronic (bosch) systems.

Well I borrowed a code reader from a friend at work. Wow  a bunch of stuff came up but the other owner drove it quite a while with a bad cat. I cleared the codes and the kid and I went for about  a 1/2 hour run and so far so good. Ive still got the tool here for a couple more nights so if we get a check engine light ill run the codes again. Another issue was a vibration. I crawled under it YUCK its been snowing all day. 2 bad ujoints so were gonna do all 3. Im sure that will get the bad vibes out. Next is a rattle near the front but it could be the passenger side door as the guy that owned it didnt know what lube was. Man that grinds my rear . People just drive em change the oil and dont lube anything. Ive still to get enuff tools to get the 3rd door open but ill get it :wink:  I hoping it doesnt have a ball joint going but ya never know. My kid was ready to go to a repair shop for the ujoints :?:  :lol:  I told him get em and get back here saturday and we will get  er done :!:
Dave 8)

tomslik

Quote from: "Crafty"Don't know if it applies to the vehicle in question but some systems have pre and post cat sensors to determine if the cat is working, if the reading from the two sensors is the same ( or similar ) it will flag the check light as it will believe the cat isn't doing its stuff.

IF you can find a yard that will sell you one(it ain't legal, again, don't blame me)

Quote from: "Crafty"Cats do break up internally, one of my old dailies had this issue, luckily it was old enough for me to remove it and not worry. In the UK any car registered from 1st August 1992 have much stricter emissions limits, that require a cat to pass. You have to pass emissions tests as part of the MOT (roadworthy test) every year, without an MOT certificate you can't insure the car or tax it ( we pay about $300 a year just to drive on public roads )  and if you don't tax it they'll catch up with you.. quite apart if you get pulled etc ( its an offence not to have insurance, another offence not to have a valid MOT and yet another not to have a valid tax disc ).

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

CruZer

I don't want to scare you or your son,but I have put a TON of money into my S10 since I bought it.
It's a '98 4wd stick and it had 22K on it when I bought it two years ago. Repairs so far: Pads and rotors all around.Passenger side ball joints.(No one ever greased the truck !!!) Both front hubs because of bad wheel bearings.($300 each.) Back up light and brake light switches. Rear universal joint.Two O2 sensors. It's got 44K on it now and I am hoping that's it for awhile.
I figured out the expenses and it's still cheaper so far than a new one.I drive my trucks until they die.
You can bet  my next one won't be a Chevy.