computer guru, looong question

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, December 30, 2004, 11:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "58Apache"
Wait a minute, you went in to buy a router, and ended up buying a new computer too?

Nice work :)

Does your new router have a built in firewall? If so, make sure you read how to set it up and put it into action. More protection doesn't hurt.

You do have one other option on your old computer. Yes you do want to dump ME. Anything before Windows 2000 was junk compared to 2000 and XP.

The other option is not for the impatient or those not brave. You could download a copy of Linux for free on your new computer and burn it to a CD-ROM. You can then install Linux from the CD's on your old computer. It's not for everyone. But something else to "play with" on an old computer.

Steve

====== the new computer was a purchase for my wife christmas gift.

the router does not have a firewall.  I use Zone alarm on each computer.  Although the new puter has a firewall with the McAffee virus software.

The Mac I don't worry about it too much, not many viruses out there to worry about for them.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

sirstude

Tony,

If you decide to bump the old computer up to XP make sure you have enough horsepower to run it.   If all you are going to do with it is access the internet, the ME stuff is probably fine.  Mine at home is an XP machine, but the semi-grown kids still use the Win 98 machine and are happy with it.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Crosley.In.AZ

As I type this I am in my shop on the laptop using the wireless hookup.

too koool.  I need to change the passwaord on the system, still on the default setting

I looked at the Windoze XP at Costco today.  95.00 U$ .  

The machine I am thinking of updating to XP is a AMD processor at 1200 mhz.  It came with ME on it.  It should be OK... I have about 20gig of HD space remaining.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)