computer guru, looong question

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, December 30, 2004, 11:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I have NOT called  my broad band server  tech support folks yet.  I will , but I wanted to ask here first

I have a broad band internet  service here through Sprint.

From the broad band's modem the E cable routes to this machine's #1  E card.  This machine has WINproxy in it to run the local network I have set up.

this machine has a #2 E card to feed a router I have the other 'client' computers hooked into.

It was suggested to me to route the broad band feed to my router, then plug each machine into the router and get RID of the WINproxy.  I was told running 2 E cards in one machine can be troublesome, yet mine works well most of the time

WINproxy seems to be the cause of some common web sites not working on my client / secondary computers... the same web sites work on this machine.  These are NOT secure web sites, simply run of the mill web sites. I have changed the configs in Internet Explorer on the problem machines, no good.  I reset to 'default' settings on the problem machines,  no good !

I have reconfigured the WINproxy till I am real PO'd, I have dumped the WINproxy cache.....I have read WINproxy's web site for tips when some web sites cannot be viewed and followed thier suggestions.

OK.... I routed the broad band modem feed to my router.  I then hooked this machine to the router.  Only this machine will function off the router.

I have matched the E card configs in the secondary machines to the configurations of this machine.... NOthing.  I cannot get the secondary machines to see the broad band feed in the router.  I have the WINproxy shut off since I was told I do NOT need it when I use a router

I have set E card configs to 'auto detect' , changed DNS stuff, turned off DNS, turned on & off most stuff.... the secondary machines will not hook up to the router / internet

Is there a special router I need?  Did i simply miss the configuration of the E cards in the secondary machines to see/read the broad band service?

Since I am using the router I am using regular E cables, not cross over E cables.

I am fairly sure I am missing a 'checked box' or something in the configs of these secondary machines
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

58Apache

You are heading in the right direction. Don't give up.

What brand of Router do you have? Does it say it will automatically assign IP addresses in the directions?

Let's find out what's happening on each of the computers:

Briing up a command prompt (DOS window for us old timers) by clicking on START then RUN then type in CMD and hit enter.

Type in:     IPCONFIG /all

Do this on all of the computers. There will be some good info there, but the first thing you want to look at is the IP address currently assigned to each machine.

The second most important thing to look at is the default gateway. We'll need that info as well. That tells your computer to to talk to to get out to the Internet.

We can go from there after you get this info:

What type of Router?
Will it assign IP addresses automatically?
IP address of each machine
Default Gateway

Next we'll do a little exercise with a utility called "PING" in the CMD window.

Steve

Crosley.In.AZ

the router is a Linksys, model NH1005, ver-2.0......... I cannot find the paperwork on it.  Linksys site does not show this model .  I would think the router is NOT the correct one I need

CMD typed in the RUN box comes up with "cannot find"

IPCONFIG /all ... typed in pops up a black DOS box for a split second , then it disappears.  Cannot read what is in the box

What performance stuff in a router do I need ?

I use Sprint broad band, which is a wire less system between my house and the antenena on the mountain many miles away
Tony

58Apache

There's a Linksys Router I use that has a built-in firewall, and it automatically assigns IP addresses. I am very happy with it. By having a firewall at he router I can also run a firewall on the machine for added protection. The chances of anyone geting through two layers of firewalls have to be pretty slim. So you may want to consider upgrading your router if it's more than a year old.

What version of windows are you using?

Do a search for cmd.exe

If your Windows is older than Windows XP Home edition, it's time to upgrade to Windows XP Home edition (upgrade version).

When you find the CMD.exe program by doing a search for files and folders, double click it and run the ipconfig /all.

Steve

sirstude

Tony,

Just type command in the run line.  That will do the same thing as cmd.  I am using a netgear router that is also a firewall for the same reason.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Crosley.In.AZ

We have a Fry's electronics place here... we went over there today.

I chatted with a couple of the young computer geeks there.  I do not have a router , I have a hub.  I need a broad band router , the kids mapped me out.  They acted like I was using 1960's tech stuff....LOL

They suggested wireless when I said I own a laptop... that would be kool I guess.  I could have the laptop in the shop.  Problem is the laptop needs a 100 dollar battery....... for a laptop that is 4+ years old and mayb worth 35 dollars. I use the A-C adapter on it full time

I grabbed a few other items.  Fry's has the large shrink tube there... 1/2 & 3/4 inch stuff, new rear speakers for the Goldwing

We walk to the cashier area where there are about 35 - 40 cashiers working...  my  guess there was way over 200 people waiting to check out in a very long line.

We left with nothing, i do not stand in long lines very well

I know I need the correct router... I will buy that , hook stuff up and probably be asking for more help from you guys
Tony

kb426

I'm using the Dlink DI 524. But, I have a cable modem plugged into the router and am using wireless from there. In my limited exp., wireless from your description could be weak and troublesome. Good luck.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "kb426"I'm using the Dlink DI 524. But, I have a cable modem plugged into the router and am using wireless from there. In my limited exp., wireless from your description could be weak and troublesome. Good luck.

I have a hard wired network in the house, no wireless stuff.... yet

regarding an ISP , there are no other options where I live.  You use a wireless program, be that my antenena to mountain top setup or a satelite hook up.  

Dial up out here does not function worth the crap, lots of dropped signals/calls, besides slow as dirt.  there is no cable service for anything here
Tony

sirstude

Tony,

If you are using wireless to your ISP, make sure that you use a different frequency on your internal wireless if you dicide to have one.  I use 2.4 for the hookup to my ISP and 5.8 in the house.

Both of my computers here (plus my laptop) are on the same router, not connected through my main computer.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

OldSub

Kids at home?

My house is wired, but since we are all notebook users I've been moving wireless.  I now have two wireless routers that also include Ethernet ports.  I've set the wireless security on both to only allow certain MAC addresses, so the kids are either wired to one router or wireless to the same one.

Now here's the fun part!  The router can be set to limit access to ports or URLs at certain times of day.  The kid's router shuts down all Internet access at 11:05 PM.  Wailing and nashing of teeth, but the kids no longer sit up all night IMing or browsing.

One more cool feature:  The router logs all URLs accessed through it and emails me that log on a daily basis, plus it immediately lets me know if an attemp has been made to access something I've forbidden.  Having let the kids know what their parents expect, and telling them I can check on them at will, their Internet use has been appropriate.

The other router is available to the adults in the house, who have unlimited access, but who rarely need it past even 10:00 and who obey the rules anyway.

This approach has simplified my home networking and given better control both.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

Crosley.In.AZ

I am typing on the new big dog computer in the house.

3.2 gig pent-4 processor.

I am using the local network set up with the new  Linksys broadband router. So far all is working well.

Let me ask another question..... my older machine with ME operating system on it..... is the only way to get the Win XP operating system on it is to buy the full CD of software?
Tony

purplepickup

Quote from: "Crosley"Let me ask another question..... my older machine with ME operating system on it..... is the only way to get the Win XP operating system on it is to buy the full CD of software?
Hey there Big Kahuna.  :wink:    According to this page you can upgrade to XP from ME http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/matrix.mspx but it still costs about $90 for the upgrade.
George

58 Yeoman

According to Fred Langa of Langalist .com, you can usually use an upgrade disk to do a clean install of any windows os, if you have a previous version to use for any 'registration numbers.'  Also, you can get xp upgrade for $99, or full version for $120 at:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/search-ng.gsp?search_constraint=3944&search_query=windows+xp&ics=20&ico=0&Continue.x=32&Continue.y=8
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

thanks for the information.

I am using my Mac puter right now. This Linksys router is hooking up to these computers real easily.  Plug and play so far.

thanks to all for the help on this puter stufff.
Tony

58Apache

"I am typing on the new big dog  computer in the house.

3.2 gig pent-4 processor.

I am using the local network set up with the new Linksys broadband router. So far all is working well. "

Wait a minute, you went in to buy a router, and ended up buying a new computer too?

Nice work :)

Does your new router have a built in firewall? If so, make sure you read how to set it up and put it into action. More protection doesn't hurt.

You do have one other option on your old computer. Yes you do want to dump ME. Anything before Windows 2000 was junk compared to 2000 and XP.

The other option is not for the impatient or those not brave. You could download a copy of Linux for free on your new computer and burn it to a CD-ROM. You can then install Linux from the CD's on your old computer. It's not for everyone. But something else to "play with" on an old computer.

Steve