Whats Next!!!

Started by BFS57, January 03, 2018, 10:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Bob, I think most of the newer factory efi systems have a voltage controller on the system and no longer have bypassing systems. Ford began that with eec v. It's good to see the Team Smart originator on the job. :)
TEAM SMART

BFS57

Hello;
Now I don't know which pump to get. But I guess I should hang out and see if anyone directs my attention to the fuel pump to install in the tank. I know that FiTech has a new fuel pump unit made to go in a gas tank but I would have to pull the tank. OR! I can order a tank (new) already set up for EFI! ($500)

Bruce

kb426

Bruce, I can't seem to remember who announced the pump and sender all in one to retrofit in old tanks yet. Sorry for that. This link is to a new product from fitech but it's only for the pump in the existing gauge hole. http://fitechefi.com/products/40015/
Here is a link to an injector calculator: https://www.injectorrx.com/injector-size-calculator/
If the link comes up with the info I input, you will see I speced 4 62 lb injectors at 58 lbs. of fuel pressure. That is what I remember reading the fitech is set at. I maybe incorrect on that. You will see that running at a max of 80% duty cycle it was capable of almost 397 hp. The base fitech is rated to 400hp so that is really close however when you see the amount of fuel it requires, it shows 156 lph. The pump in my 32 is 190 lph. If you ordered a command center with the smaller 255 lph, you would still have a large over capacity. I don't understand why they would install the 340 lph as standard??? I'm around 300 hp in the 32 and have no fear of not having enough pump capacity. I'm sorry to have made this confusing. I want everyone to enjoy the benefits of efi on their hot rod without grief. :)   In regards to removing the tank, unless you are very certain it contains no containments, it might save you some time to clean it before doing the changeover. I did see that the Tanks tank is $215 but I suppose if you add the pump and sender you will have that $500. :)
I checked the link and it didn't come up with the info I had input. it's fun to play with if that's of any value. :)
TEAM SMART

BFS57

Quote from: "kb426"Bruce, I can't seem to remember who announced the pump and sender all in one to retrofit in old tanks yet. Sorry for that. This link is to a new product from fitech but it's only for the pump in the existing gauge hole. http://fitechefi.com/products/40015/
Here is a link to an injector calculator: https://www.injectorrx.com/injector-size-calculator/
If the link comes up with the info I input, you will see I speced 4 62 lb injectors at 58 lbs. of fuel pressure. That is what I remember reading the fitech is set at. I maybe incorrect on that. You will see that running at a max of 80% duty cycle it was capable of almost 397 hp. The base fitech is rated to 400hp so that is really close however when you see the amount of fuel it requires, it shows 156 lph. The pump in my 32 is 190 lph. If you ordered a command center with the smaller 255 lph, you would still have a large over capacity. I don't understand why they would install the 340 lph as standard??? I'm around 300 hp in the 32 and have no fear of not having enough pump capacity. I'm sorry to have made this confusing. I want everyone to enjoy the benefits of efi on their hot rod without grief. :)   In regards to removing the tank, unless you are very certain it contains no containments, it might save you some time to clean it before doing the changeover. I did see that the Tanks tank is $215 but I suppose if you add the pump and sender you will have that $500. :)
I checked the link and it didn't come up with the info I had input. it's fun to play with if that's of any value. :)

Hello;
My car originally had a 1406 Edelbrock carb which worked perfectly until the heat got to 180 d Then the engine would run like poop because the fuel would boil precisely at the temp and the engine would run bad. Enter the Road Deamon I just added with the Composite fuel bowl! No problem now! But I have always wanted to go EFI I just was to brain dead to do it, Thats why I sold the TPI that came with my engine and went carburated!
Now that Fi Tech has created this system the Command center looked like a EFI for dummies! Just hook up your mechanical fuel pump and run a wire to the command center and run a line to the EFI unit and make a return back to the tank!
My thought is if I do the command center I can install it in front of the radiator (off to the drivers side) which would allow it to run cool? Just the fuel lines would have to be longer!

Bruce

kb426

Bruce, that sounds ok to me. If I was doing it, I would buy the smaller pump. I spent some time thinking about this large pump deal trying to understand why they would push that. I see that some of the other manufacturers' are selling the same size pump so is it all marketing? Most controllers have pulse width modulation now. That controls voltage to the pump and allows the capacity to be diminished. I haven't been able to find out the parameters of how much this function can do. None of the newer cars have a large pump yet most are a returnless system with PMW. If I find an answer I will post it. I'm sure you have thought of this but anything fuel related on the front of the car does present a hazard in case of a collision. I think the fitech is popular enough that if you spend some time researching, you will find pics of many installations. You will probably see the answer to this. :)
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

BFS57

Hello;
That system looks fine except my engine isn't a high horses unit just a lowly under 400 (way under) horses. Thats why I am looking at the Fi Tech as it has that band of HP spacifically targeted!
As for, which seems to be the most crucial part of the equation, The fuel system, I am contemplating installing a whole new gas tank that looks original but has the sender and pump installed with a return in it, as well as internal baffles.
My biggest problem right now is that I can't do as I used to do, Artharitas of the spine and surgery kicked my Butt and Is taking it's time to bring me around to a point where I can be 100% , Thats if I get that far at all!!, So I have to try and find a shop that can perform some of these installations for me.
Im thinking that I don't want to bite off WAY MORE Than I can chew :roll:

Bruce

jaybee

Bruce, what steering box are you running? The aftermarket 500-series boxes are a big step up from a 60 year old original or modified 605 retrofit.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

BFS57

Quote from: "jaybee"Bruce, what steering box are you running? The aftermarket 500-series boxes are a big step up from a 60 year old original or modified 605 retrofit.

Hello;
Ill second that, when I had the 500 box installed in my car I just couldn't believe how nice it drove. I ended up turning "donuts" in a parking lot!! Love that!!!!! BTW, I have that plus the upper and lower control arms from CPP!

Bruce