GM trivia question

Started by Land Yacht, July 31, 2004, 12:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Well you're right to a point. Nash had the first Air conditioning in 38 but Packard had the first refrigerated system in 1940.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"Forgot all about them Tony, and I looked at some a couple weeks ago. I saw a crosley a couple years ago that had Chevette Disc brakes adapted to it. Looked like a fairly easy swap.

whole chevette disc setup ?  rotor etc ? interesting

I've seen / read about early small VW calipers adapted to the tiny Crosley disc rotor.  I figure large motor cycle calipers would function well too.

Early Crosley calipers were called a pulsator ..... or something like that .

Crosley went to Bendix drum brakes in 1950 due to the failure/corrosion  rate of the calipers in the rust belt areas of the USA.  Similar Bendix brakes as the early Jeeps
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

av8

Does anyone recall the common name for caliper-type clamping disc brakes before we began calling them disc brakes?

enjenjo

I figured you knew about it, so didn't even take pictures. He was using the chevette rotor and caliper, can't tell you if there was any machining or not, but knowing this guy, it wasn't much, or he wouldn't have done it.

enjenjo

Quote from: "av8"Does anyone recall the common name for caliper-type clamping disc brakes before we began calling them disc brakes?

I remember them being referred to as "spot" brakes by the sporty car crowd back then.

What does "airplane shocks" refer to?

Carps

Quote from: "enjenjo"What does "airplane shocks" refer to?

It's what 290 Boeing 747 passengers get when some kid's mother write's young Robert's name (BOB) on a sick bag and sends the queasy kid to the lavatory with it.  However he doesn't use it and leaves it in there when he goes back to his seat.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

meanmachine

Quote from: "N8DC"
Quote from: "Land Yacht"I am wondering if anyone knows the first years when dual masters, power steering, power brakes, and front discs became optional, I imagine the vette was ahead by a few years but what about Impala, Chevelle, Nova?

Ok i watching speed the other night and remember cause it was a rerun they asked who invented the cruise control. I wont list the possible answers here but does anyone remember the right answer  ?????????????They gave a list of possibles and i guessed it right the first time  by picking the lease likely answer..
Dave

Dave the answer to your question is cruise control it was designed by a blind man after taking a ride with his lawyer and he made notice of the fact that when the lawyer was speaking he sped up and when the lawyer was listening he would slow down witch made for an uncomforting ride.

the other choices were A/C , P/S , and power brakes.

Herb
That which one can dream can be built......