Water in cylinder

Started by Okiedokie, March 12, 2010, 01:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okiedokie

wayne petty

if the boring and honing was done correctly..  and the crank was properly done..

and everything was just left loose.. not damaged... when you verify everything.. put it back together with care... and forethought.. and it will work...  

the hylomar is the best trick... i won't put heads on without it..

as for the head gaskets.. that is a conventional fel pro head gasket.. not some special head gasket with a wire ring that needs a receiver groove..

Okiedokie

Thank you Wayne. Your replys are of great benefit. Joe

cr55

That is some incredible knowledge Wayne! Things I never would have checked.....Read some disturbing things about Jon Barrett engines somewhere.....Hope you get it straightened out relatively cheap Okiedokie!!...CR

Okiedokie

Ok, I swear to always listen to Wayne from now on. After a friend with much more experience with engine repair than I stopped by and looked at the situation and concurred that most likely the head was not properly torqued, I replaced the head gasket and re-assembled the motor. Now, being the DA I can often be, I did not pressurize the cooling system untill the tuned port was completely back in place. Would not hold pressure, pulled number 5 plug, there it was, more water. I give up on this motor for now. I will get another crate motor and go thru this one for a later project. Obviously the head has a problem. The #5 piston was close to the top when I pulled the plug, so it would seem obvious the head must be defective. To me anyway. Joe

cr55

Sorry to hear that! :cry: ..Can you have the head checked at a machine shop or maybe just put a straight edge along the bottom and see if you have warpage or something out of the ordinary?  CR

Okiedokie

I checked the block and head for flat before putting the head back on. In light of the head problem and the piece of wire I found in one cylinder, I think it is best to start over with a new engine. I will check everything in the Barrett motor before using it in something else.

cr55

That's truely a shame! :( ..I hate to hear about anyone taking a hit like that...Barrett will get his, I'm sure!...CR