What I did today

Started by enjenjo, February 13, 2010, 08:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

57larry

why not just put in a 12 bolt?

enjenjo

Quote from: "57larry"why not just put in a 12 bolt?

He wanted a 9".
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

I built the diff for this today. Again, not what I would do. 4.57 gear with a 31 spline spool. This is primarily a street car. Could not talk him out of it. Richmond gear, for a change the spool was machined right, the gear was concentric, and the pinion depth was right on Ford specs. First time that has ever happened with aftermarket parts. :shock:

unklian

Must be the Full Moon.  :D

UGLY OLDS

QuoteAgain, not what I would do. 4.57 gear with a 31 spline spool. This is primarily a street car. Could not talk him out of it.

Better talk him into some GOOD "rain tires" .... :?  Maybe a "sideways driving course "  :?:  :shock:

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

phat rat

Quote from: "enjenjo"4.57 gear with a 31 spline spool. This is primarily a street car. :

With that set-up it'll be a good zip code ride :roll:  Certainly not a reacher
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

Quote from: "phat rat"
Quote from: "enjenjo"4.57 gear with a 31 spline spool. This is primarily a street car. :

With that set-up it'll be a good zip code ride :roll:  Certainly not a reacher

I expect it will be back for another center section after he drives it a few miles, maybe a Detroit Locker and 4/11 gears.

And yes, I can just see it the first time he gets caught in the rain.

Charlie Chops 1940

I built a killer 336 C.I. sbc, 12.5:1 compression, Z-28 302 service package cam, 950 3 barrell - lotsa good stuff - for my '62 Vette in about '71. Back in the days of readily available 106 octane gas. I ran a succession of 4.56 and 4.88 gears. It was bloody fast, but I broke more gears, carriers, rear springs, etc. than I ever dreamed possible over the next few years. Never broke the Muncie 4-speed though. I eventually solved all the weak links and it was a fun car until the gasoline went away in '75 or so.

I detuned it with a head change, sandwich gaskets, a much milder cam, a 650 carb abd 3.70 gears. It went from crazy fun to an absolute delight to drive every day.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

GPster

I have a friend that built a '68 Vette for SCCA racing back in the early '70s. It was SBC powered and held a track record for speed at one Ohio track that stood against big blocks for a number of years. He did a lot of theorizing and had a set of 3:70s built for the rear end. He went to       Road Atlanta with it and it placed 3rd. Due to the cheating he encountered and the expence he quit racing. He sold the car to Ohio State and they thought it needed 4:11 gears so they made that change and it never won another race. The package has got to match from the engine to the rear tires. GPster

enjenjo

Well, this is a young guy, 27 years old. And he listens too much to his drag racer buddy. I was able to talk him out of ladder bars, doing Caltracs instead.

Digger

If I could play Devil's Advocate for a minute, I think Frank said it all "the guy is 27" Didn't we all at one time want the baddest ride on the block? and to hell with the cost or inconvenience? I think when you are 27 it is just a testosterone thing. I remember when at 22 I drove a 57 Chev with 5:12 gears, 4sp and never took the slicks off even in the rain when it wouldn't go up the slghtest incline without getting sideways. Looking back on it, it seems stupid but it sure as hell was fun even while sucking up the Sunoco 280 and 4 speeds and keeping me broke. When he gets to our age he will probably try to talk young guys out of having as much fun.----Just A Thought.
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

chimp koose

Nice one digger ! I forgot how smart I was at 22. 4000 stall ,full manual valve body,ratchet shifter,STUPID cam(duration and lift were an expression of manlihood as I remember)Detroit locker ,slicks and a spun brass velocity stack with tiny air filter( because the engine HAD tostick through the hood(re;expression of manlihood!)).The more difficult that car was to drive themore Iloved it. Oh yeah,8mpg!