Ford resistor AGAIN?

Started by butch27, September 21, 2009, 09:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne petty

i will then continue with explaining everything i can... within limits..

38HAULR

If we "rewind" and go back to the original complaint of "zero compression"
And we first accept that when doing a compression test ,you only need about 4 crank speed revolutions for the test, I am puzzled at how high oil pump pressure at idle/lifters would affect this,especially if only one cyl.
Valvewise to me,if this is the cause then one or both must be open,and certainly any lifter involvement can be looked at by simply checking for any lash between valve and rocker when the valves are closed.
Even a feel of the rockers for tightness in the closed position would give some clues,compare that cyl,s rocker/lash with a known good  cyl.
These are my thoughts on the way I would go about it.
Thanks Wayne for the info in your posts. I have found this to be good reading........
Frank.

2rods

Exactly.I agree what 38 said.

wayne petty

the biggest problem... that style of rocker arm stud is NOT Adjustable..  without significant knowledge..

i seem to recall that he tried the chevy style adjustment .. but do to the design of the nuts.. they kept backing off when he ran the motor as there is no locking function to them except when you bottom them out on the shoulder of the stud..

so they got tightened down to bottom the nut on the stud.. this is like cranking 1 and a half or two turned in on a chevy..   and with the high volume or pressure pump...  that makes almost 60 psi at idle...  as soon as you rev it...   the lifters that have excess preload... pump up and hold the valve off the seat...

with the later bolt down rockers arms..  that use bolts ..  you can change the preload on them by changing the shim under the pedestal...  these were the little square washers he bought..

i have both types of heads floating around here somewhere... i will do some photos.. later... i plan on doing some serious porting to one side of HO 5.0 heads i have..   i got them from the fairlane project..

i understand this type of stuff as i worked in an engine rebuilder and then ran the cylinder head department ..

2rods

I also understand this stuff. worked on lots of these heads and never had a problem. Unless the head has been shaved alot or wrong pushrods you shouldn't have a problem. Just loosen the nuts off a bit and try that compression test again. As 38 said if both valves closed there has to some lash and 60 psi oil pressure on a SBF is nothing to worry about.

wayne petty

it is not clear to everybody..

i also think he had a valve job done... who knows what the stem height is..  one could be sticking way up.. or some of them...

i am in hollywood.. the engine in question is in michigan.. or i would drive over and fix it..    think that taking a suitcase and they charge you ... they are going to hit me up for 2 seats.. if they let me on the plane at all..  people don't even like to ride elevators with me..    i even broke the escalator at the hollywood red line one day.. i stepped on.. got about 5 feet up and the whole thing went flat and stopped..  yes the steps went flat..

i have had to pull valve covers off small block chevys in tommys burgers parking lot at 2 am as someone put their poly locks on upside down..

i cannot even tell you how many motors i have had to mess with the valve adjustment on...   i even have had to take jobs away from techs with 25 years under their belt..  and that guy could fix almost anything..

lets see what happens when he get the adjustable stuff..   if not... i wonder who lives close to butch..