Ford resistor AGAIN?

Started by butch27, September 21, 2009, 09:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne petty

you don't need both..... if you can get the adjustment back with shims...

other companies also sell the shims...  i am almost sure that crane cams sells them also...

i usually end up with adjustments that are too loose...  and if new fulcrums don't bring it down to adjustment ... i grind the bottom of the fulcrum base...

its like taking out shims...

but i think that you need to get looser...

The Paisano

Before you get married to it,check your basic,how bout a cracked dist/cap inside,hairline crack will give you a good around.Also,turn the motor by hand,see how much back and forth play you have in the distributor when you do this,Worn timing chain,?.befor you start shiming valve srings,howabout a worn cam lobe.When you check your plug wires with an
ohmeter,analog prefered as it will give you differant reading when wiggled around.It will also give you a differna treading when its cold and hot. the specs given for the measurement were right HOw bout voltage to both side of the coil.Most no starts are basic repairs so don't sart digging into you pocket and wasting your bread.
Paisano
Paisano

butch27

Yes: But That doesn't explain the no compression. And I can see the valves open and close,And a new distributor from Whitney. I give you ideas a try though.  Thanks

wayne petty

butch27

check your private messages...

wayne petty

ahh....   stud mounted non adjustable cast iron rocker arms.. with the guide rails on the tip of the rocker..

this should solve your problem

COMP Cams / 16 pcs. 5/16 in. rocker arm adjusting kit -

Not legal for sale or use on pollution-controlled motor vehicle

Part Number:   4610-16
here is a picture...

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/com/4610-16/image/8/

shows the installation .. on page 2 on the right...

http://www.compcams.com/technical/Catalogs/106-07/52-55.pdf

i do see 5/16" poly locks in a PAW catalog i have...

part number PAW-PL-5/16"    but i searched a bit for them.. i could not find any online...

i hope this helps...   thanks for calling... voice interface is still sometimes better than flying fingers...

wayne petty

here is a giant blow up picture of a lifter...

http://image.popularhotrodding.com/f/tech/hydaulic-vs-solid/12284853+cr1+re0+ar1/hydraulic-lifter.jpg

there is one more thing... it seems that if you install chevy valves in a ford head... you need special shorter pushrods...   -.157"  shorter .. that is in the comp cams tech page i think... or in the pro stock parts from elgin engine parts..

Carnut

looks to me like the best way to check the no compression cylinder for wrong rocker adjustment, one would just remove the two rockers for that cylinder and then run compression check.  If there is compression then valves were hanging open, if still no compression then something else is open.

38HAULR

If this was a prev running engine,then without getting too carried away with rocker selection etc,look at the basics.
Do compression check,if zero then you only have 3 choices.
Hole in piston.
Blown headgasket
Open valves ,or a chunk of valve missing.
The valves if they look to be opening and closing visually ,then need to be checked for full actual closure. Check rocker clearance against against a known good cyl.
Also air can be introduced via the plug hole with valves closed and any hint of leakage looked for via the exhaust or carby throat with butterflies open
If there is no doubt that the valve lash is not the issue,then no choice but to lift the head .
Frank.

butch27

It's blowing back out of the carb (stuck intake valve) and Wayne figured it's my hi output oil pump causing too much pressure and locking open the intake. Sound like what's happening to it.
Wayne : those Ford spacers that make the valves adjustable look like the answer.. Thanks and hoping.

2rods

hi output oil pump causing too much pressure and locking open the intake

How is that possible?

wayne petty

there is too much pre load on the lifters...   the car idles at almost 60 of oil pressure...   probably too much..  but thats something else..

the rocker arms are mounted on pressed in studs with the reduced thread size... so they are mostly NON adjustable...  

when the car starts the oil pressure comes up and eventually holds the valves open ...

with pedestal mounted rocker arms..   where they are held down with a BOLT through an aluminum pedestal...   you can change the valve adjustment by shimming under the pedestal...

with the 3/8' studs that have reduced threads to 5/16...    there is not a lot to do...  except go for a set of Poly locks..  or the adjustable kit i posted above..    

sometimes... calling me or one of the others is worth it..    brain to mouth is a lot shorter distance than brain to fingers....

i should say i am sorry to a lot of folks... as i tend to run on... sometimes in the wrong direction..

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "wayne petty"i should say i am sorry to a lot of folks... as i tend to run on... sometimes in the wrong direction..

Are you kidding???

There is always something to learn from your posts, Wayne ...even if you stray from the specific topic!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

34ford

Are you kidding???

There is always something to learn from your posts, Wayne ...even if you stray from the specific topic![/quote]

I agree 100%.  Usually learn a lot from Waynes post. Just wish I could type as fast as him and put it into understandable text. :D  :D

butch27

He does his best thinking on the toilet. LOL Right Wayne??

348tripower

Quote from: "34ford"Are you kidding???

There is always something to learn from your posts, Wayne ...even if you stray from the specific topic!

I agree 100%.  Usually learn a lot from Waynes post. Just wish I could type as fast as him and put it into understandable text. :D  :D[/quote]

I agree too!!!!!!!!!! :D
Don Colliau