Up on wheels!

Started by moose, September 06, 2008, 06:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadstar

Looks great Tim. Stance is everything and you nailed it.

moose

Bib_Overalls asked about the chassis

Quote from: "Grandadeo"Thinking down the road to my extra '32 frame rails that my son has claimed - He plans on putting a '30 -'31 coupe or roadster on the frame.  So my question is -what did you do to the frame for the body to fit well. Pinch the rails at the cowl?  Any mods at the front of the rear fender recess line to tuck the frame rails in, etc?  Any measurements you can share.  He would also like to run the frame extensions and a '32 gas tank. not sure how that will work.  We are waiting our turn to use a buddy's '32 frame jig but would like to have an idea going into it what changes we will need to make.   Although we do have access to a cowl, he doesn't have a body yet to aid in the fit up, .  Hope he's not holding his breath, I'm NOT supplying that.

Lee

The chassis started out as a pair of Dearborn Deuce rails I picked up from Roadstar. They were pinched bobbed and recontoured for the side profile. Here is a link to the start to this point of the build.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94649&showall=1

I have the measurements I used for my body but if you recontour the frame I would suggest you make a templete of your body. Mine was not necessarly original in the spacing as the subrails were really butchered in a past life. When I got the body it had been channeled using 1" angle brazed to the body and not square. Copper brake lines on the frame. You know the typical stuff that Frank is used to fixing. Any if you view the build ppics and have futher questions just ask away.

Tim

moose

Rudy coming from you that is a great compliment.

Charlie the deck lid won't be ready to bring yo the Zoo. When I am ready I will just look at it as an excuse for a road trip!!!

Tim

Grandadeo

The chassis started out as a pair of Dearborn Deuce rails I picked up from Roadstar. They were pinched bobbed and recontoured for the side profile. Here is a link to the start to this point of the build.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94649&showall=1

I have the measurements I used for my body but if you recontour the frame I would suggest you make a templete of your body. Mine was not necessarly original in the spacing as the subrails were really butchered in a past life. When I got the body it had been channeled using 1" angle brazed to the body and not square. Copper brake lines on the frame. You know the typical stuff that Frank is used to fixing. Any if you view the build ppics and have futher questions just ask away.

Tim[/quote]

Thanks for the link and the info Tim.  Love the pictures, will be a big help when we get started.  Right now my son Tim and I need to finish the '36 roadster stroller for his new son and my new grandson T.J. who is due in less than 2 months.

Grandadeo
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

rumrumm

Congrats! It already looks great!!!
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

348tripower

Don Colliau

Ohio Blue Tip

Nice, Tim, see ya at ZOO.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

moose

With al the usual "life" stuff progress has been slow. I have started hammeriing out a firewall and better replacing the sub-rails.

rumrumm

Looking good. Love those chopped coupes! My first build took ten years (a lot of life things temporarily postponed completion); the second one took me two and a half years.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

348tripower

Makes me wish I never sold mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:
Don Colliau

bucketmouth

Looking good is all I can say. Is it just me or have model A coupes got more popular in the last couple of years or so.
Back here in Oz we have some one making glass 30 coupe bodies and they are starting to pop up all round the place. 8)
I've got a steel 30 roadster I've been collecting bits for but I'm having a rethink now.
Keep us posted Moose.
I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.

moose

Finally got the firewall where I am happy with it. Hammerformed a radius to have a pleasing transition. Started to weld it in finally!

Tim

Charlie Chops 1940

Very nice workmanship there Tim.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!