Lincoln Versailles 9" differential

Started by 32 Chevy, February 18, 2009, 08:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

32 Chevy

So I picked up the Versailles differential and disassembled the disc brakes. They are in great shape; it looks like the owner of the car had a brake job done just before totaling the car. Sweet.

So now I start thinkin' .. the 56 already has an 8' differential in it with the gears I like and it works great. The 8" came out of a Granada, the sister vehicle to the Verasilles so it has identical width , perch spacing and lug bolt pattern.

The 9" is heavier and stronger than I need with the 5.0 engine so I dont really need that stout a differential. What I'd really like to do is swap the disc brakes off the 9" onto the 8" housing.

Does anyone know if the backing plates and brakes are interchangeable between the same year and model of ford 8" and 9" diffs?

Thanks,

Dave

enjenjo

QuoteDoes anyone know if the backing plates and brakes are interchangeable between the same year and model of ford 8" and 9" diffs?

That is a definite maybe, but probably not. I believe you will find the disc brake rear has the big bearings, they measure about 3.10" diameter.And I think you will find the 8" has the small bearings, about 2.8". The backing plate bolt pattern is different between the big bearing and small bearing. There are other issues too, but if you really want to, it can be done, just not easily.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.