Tools

Started by dirt t, December 10, 2007, 07:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne petty

tools to set up housings to be shortened...

strong piece of finished alloy steel...to use as a centering tools..

this piece needs to be totally straight..  and stored vertically... in a place where nothing can be layed agenst it.. maybe even hung from a ring bolt threaded into the end..(removable).

round precision pieces that can be installed in the carrier with the bore an exact fit for the shaft....

this allows you to mount the carrier into the housing and slide the shaft through.. and adaptors for each  housing end to keep them straight while you  weld the ends on...

what i am wondering.. is after all the welding is done to the housing ends and installation of brackets for mounting it.. how do you clean out the crap from welding..  long thick wire brushes??? ball hones???   cap everything and pour in polishing/cleaning triangles and spin the housing until it is clean inside... or does anybody bother????or has anybody thought about it???/   (polishing triangles are used in parts cleaning tumblers)

tomslik

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Charlie Chops 1940

There we go. Thanks Tom. That could put somebody in business.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Bib_Overalls

I've woundered about turnind some guides on the lathe.  Something about 6" long and 1/4 inch thick.  You wold press them in and weld them in place with the same bead that rejoins the tubes.  

I have seen pictures of people using lengths of angle and clamps to align the tubes.

But I think the best way is to cut the tube to length and square up on the lathe.  Then use new axle ends.  Or again use the lathe to clean up the old ends for reuse.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

enjenjo

I made my own. I bought the steel bar as a drop at the local metal supplier, and the collars were cut from an old hydraulic cylinder shaft, and turned to size.

Most of the time I still send the housings to Moser.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Bugpac

110.00 would be hard to pass up on for a high quality job...
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

enjenjo

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"I've woundered about turnind some guides on the lathe.  Something about 6" long and 1/4 inch thick.  You wold press them in and weld them in place with the same bead that rejoins the tubes.  

I have seen pictures of people using lengths of angle and clamps to align the tubes.

But I think the best way is to cut the tube to length and square up on the lathe.  Then use new axle ends.  Or again use the lathe to clean up the old ends for reuse.

The problem is, the tubes are seldom concentric with the center section on a Ford rear. so when you shorten it, the tubes no longer line up with the ends. That's why you need a jig.

UGLY OLDS

Quotewhat i am wondering.. is after all the welding is done to the housing ends and installation of brackets for mounting it.. how do you clean out the crap from welding..  long thick wire brushes??? ball hones???

I clean the inside of my housing tubes with a cheap wire brush nailed to a piece of wood... :idea: (Think Heavy Duty snowbrush..)   Oops .. :oops: You're in LA...Forgot...Sorry.. :wink:

People would also be amazed how easy they bend...When I did the Kidds Dodge I made a simple "spring perch" simular to the stock one & welded side to side...1" at a time ..Being SUPER careful with the heat...Left side never moved..Right side went .125 forward & almost .250 up... :shock: Instant axle bearing "eater" ..... :(
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Bugpac

Will moser straighten them, after some custom mounts are welded on?

enjenjo

Quote from: "Bugpac"Will moser straighten them, after some custom mounts are welded on?

Yes. The best way to do it is to weld the mounts before the ends are welded on.

Bugpac

I am going to weld mounts to the bronco 9", they dont need to be shortened, But i could have them straighten it after correct..

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "Bugpac"I am going to weld mounts to the bronco 9", they dont need to be shortened, But i could have them straighten it after correct..

Thats the way I do it....HINT..Look for someone in your area that builds stock cars or serious dirt track cars......LOTS less $$ than the "name" guys to straighten a housing...   8)  :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****