GM steering boxes

Started by 48builder, October 01, 2007, 12:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirstude

Ok guys,  After spending plenty of time on the Delco web site, I have decided they just don't care about my Impala.  What later boxes fit a 65 Impala.  This is a rear steer car, and most of the new stuff is for a front steer setup like I have in my Olds.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

enjenjo

Quote from: "sirstude"Ok guys,  After spending plenty of time on the Delco web site, I have decided they just don't care about my Impala.  What later boxes fit a 65 Impala.  This is a rear steer car, and most of the new stuff is for a front steer setup like I have in my Olds.

Doug

All of them will fit. On a front steer GM car, the pitman arm points back, on a rear steer GM car, the pitman arm points forward. By moving the pitman arm 180 degrees, you can change the box from one to the other.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

I've been told that the 55/6/7 pitman arm shaft won't fit into the 800 box but if I can get one in the $25 range I might be tempted to try it anyway.  Logically I figure the same pitman arm fits all 3 boxes so the shaft must be the same diameter.  The horizontal distance between the steering shaft and the pitman arm shaft has to be the same or the units wouldn't be interchangeable.  Therefore if there's a difference it would have to be in the radius of pitman arm shaft centerline to tips of the gear teeth, the pitch of the teeth, or some difference in the top of the shaft where the adjuster assembly rides.  Does that make sense?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)