Motorcycle air-bag deploys in a crash

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, June 30, 2007, 11:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Mac"
I'm not that much of a purest  :roll: My Bim is a collection of various bits and pieces, mostly Bavarian but I think of it more like a rat bike.
I tried sombody's bike with sidecar once. What a wrestling match! I found myself seeking relief by straddling the crown of the road. Also, not good for long term health.  :shock:

oh........ this fellow is not a purist .  I looked for a photo of him & the bike, did not find it.

The side car is an oddity, not the early type of side cars y'all may be thinking of.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "Fift4fe"

I've picked up a lot of "safe riders" in my 35 years of EMS work.  The driver of the other vehicle almost always say "I did'nt see em"

Be safe and be aware

Me too.

we get alot of "left turn" accidents. car or truck turns left across traffic in front of the motorcycle. hear "I didn't see him" alot too. someone posted the statement "ride like you are invisible".....that is a very true statement.

as for helmets, I am a fan of the 1/2 or "shorty" helmet, for a couple reasons.
#1 better vision and hearing.
#2 the base of the helmet does not rest at the base of your skull.
    all the bodys vegetative functions are controlled by the brain stem.
    when a riders head impacts the pavement or other object, it usually causes a sublexation. or bending backward of the neck, resulting in a brain stem injury.  if you are lucky, you die instantly, if you are not so lucky, you wind up on a ventilator, being fed thru a tube down yer nose, only to die later from some type of opportunistic disease, like pneumonia.

air bags, just like seat belts, do not prevent you from being killed, they are designed to help reduce the severity of your injuries.  there a a whole bunch of other factors that can determine the outcome of a vehicle crash

ride what you want, but please ride aware.

I am a firm believer in "situational awareness"  be aware of your surroundings. leave yourself an out-- incase you have to take evasive actions.  motorcycles start, stop, turn, alot faster than autos. if you have to make a sudden stop, most likely, soccer mom behind you is too busy talking on her cell phone to notice you.  I see that alot too.

it's Fifty4fe's fault, he asked if I had anything to add :oops:

have fun, enjoy yourselves, just be aware of whats going on around you. 8)

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Crosley.In.AZ

Vance;

good additional input.

I'll stick with a full face helmet since I have seen survivors that have done a face plant with a 3/4 or 1/2 helmet on.

Us riders or the first responders all know that IF the right (wrong) stuff happens   it is over (yer dead)....

A couple on a wing got rear ended last year at a traffic light... the passenger  gal hit her head on the curb (no helmet) as she was thrown from the bike.  She died.

In 1979 I owned a Yamaha XS-1100.... the mechanic guy at the dealer was on a short test ride ( no helmet)... he swung wide on a turn near the shop to avoid a cager that stopped long at a stop sign. The tire hit the curb , he hit the sidewalk with his head.... He died at the spot.

ride what you want , how you want.

I agree with tomas-slik... I do NOT like the Gov to micro manage the citizen's life.... helmet laws, seat belt laws , cell phone while driving  laws , smoking laws.

I'll not get started down this path.... I'll type for an hour and * folks off or at least myself.

Tony

Dave

Tony.. I used to be the first to * about the helmet law.. Not now :lol: Although I dont wear a full face anymore since i started riding baggers i do wear a 3/4.. It saved my azz.. Vance thanks for the uplifting coments :lol: . me and sue are both * lucky we had helmets on and we both basically hit the back of our heads on the pavement and we were only going about 40. I did flip once before i landed in the grass :!: I was lucky i landed on my back again and not on my face. Ya never know.. I am not a speed rider anymore but I have had the harley up to about 90 but on a clear dry straight road. That was just a test after the pcIII install.. I think about our crash everyday and im not gonna bs anyone into thinking that im not gonna be pretty leary when i get the bike back and get caught in some rain again . Yup it will happen cause if you ride like i do you dont worry about getting wet just more about how long you are gonna be wet.. I will be a lot more cautious on wet roads now..  Anyway..... Back to the garage.
Dave

Crosley.In.AZ

dave;

I went down at speed after the traps at BeeLine Dragway in the 1970s... entering the return road in the dark, hit the sand on the roadway.... off I went onto the asphalt , then into the desert.  Helmet was gouged up , leather jacket & gloves  ripped up, a few holes in my pants.

I always have worn a helmet & some type of protective gear since.

I went down on wet asphalt on my Honda SL-350 in high school days, I slid around the pavement a bit.. I am very careful on wet roads since.

I only need to be kicked once to wise up about most things.

lets be careful out there
Tony

Dave

Ya ive been down before too Tony but this was one of them things that just happened and it was so quick I didnt have a chance.. After dying last year and getting another chance I just dont know what to think but im not gonna dwell on it.. I want to ride and I have to to regain any faith that I have in myself..  Again the Honda comercial i think it is .. I wanna ride I wanna ride I wanna ride.. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Dave :wink: