Brought up before but hot rolled steel and the scale on it

Started by Dave, May 19, 2007, 12:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: "donsrods"In the past year of building my T I have had to remove tons of mill scale, and the best thing I have found is one of two things, both similar products.  Some people have described them as rice cakes, and they are plastic discs that either have a 1/4 inch mandrel formed in so you can use them in your angle die grinder, or, they come in ones with a 5/8 threaded hole to go on like a 4.5 inch angle grinder.  The second one seems to work the best, and even Home Depot sells them.  I think Norton and 3 M make them.

Takes the mill scale of very easily, and leaves a nicely flattened surface, not all marked up.

Don

hey Don i went to menards and got one of those disks and a flap disk for my 4 1/2 inch angle grinder. Dam shoulda done that before :lol:  It worked well. Ive got to get the stuff for my die grinder for the tight places like around the motor mounts and cross members but ive * near got it ready for primer. Went a lot easier than expected and although the rice cake was 12 bucks then 9 bucks for the backing / mount and its about used up already it sure saved me some time yesterday. Thanks for the tip.
Dave :arrow:  :wink:  :arrow:
Oh ya.......... consider yourself the newest member of team smart...

donsrods

Welcome Dave.  Glad it worked well for you.  Yeah, they aren't cheap, but I gladly went back and picked up 4 more because they made it so easy, and like you, I didn't want to haul my stuff to a sandblaster plus pay a couple, few hundred bucks.

I just cleaned up my rear spring yesterday, using the same kind of disc, and it made the job a whole lot easier.  Two things however.  One, they don't last real long, and two, when the little pieces of plastic fly off of the disc they sure do sting.

:shock:  :shock:

Don

sirstude

Don,  How about a picture of the "Rice Cakes" for those of us that don't have a Menards.  Sound like a handy piece to have.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Dave

Quote from: "sirstude"Don,  How about a picture of the "Rice Cakes" for those of us that don't have a Menards.  Sound like a handy piece to have.

Doug

Doug .. They are made by 3m .. At least the one i bought was. I have the box still for mine at the house so if Don doesnt ill take a pic. The come in differen grits too. i bought the 36 grit and it was fine cept id need 2 if i was doing both sides of the frame and possible 3. Thats just for removing the scale from the hot rolled steel but i had one side and the front of the other done before i went to look for the disks. The out side of the frame i just d/a sanded.
Dave

donsrods

Even Home Depot is now carrying them.  The ones for the die grinder have a 1/4 inch shank molded in, are black in color, and about 3 inches in diameter.  The other version fits a standard 5/8 grinder shank, is threaded to fit it, and is about 4.5 inches in diameter.

I guess there are different configurations beyond that, but those are the ones Home Depot carries.  The other thing is that they don't dig into the metal leaving gouges or scratches to fill.

I have to give my Son credit for finding these, he put me on to them.

Don