'40 Ford electric door locks

Started by Learpilot, February 12, 2012, 07:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okiedokie

Rick, I am positive that your passenger door outside lock will still function normally. Joe

Digger

Quote from: "Learpilot"
Quote from: "Okiedokie"Rick, any progress?
I have been flying a lot lately and have just started working. I bought a right rear door latch just to cut it like the drawing and make the mistakes with it before I start cutting on the '40s good door latchs. I have got the electrics working good. I think I will mount the controller behind the left kick panel. I still have not figured out how to have a mechanical back up in case the key FOB fails , or the battery goes dead. One thing I though of was to use a GM type door lock cylinder and hook it to the rod that moves up and down. If I remember the lock cylinder has  movement before the lock moves.
Some times my projects take a little longer because I can't work in the garage after work because I am not home. As my Wife says Flying off somewhere.
Rick
I usually use a hood release lever and cable either hidden under the hood or under a fender, and run back thru the door to the latch. Works great!
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

Okiedokie

Well, looks like I was wrong about the outside lock working. I had the opportunity to look at one of the actuators at a friends today. I don't think that the key lock could overcome the actuator. It did cause me to think, after I left, if the battery loses power do the actuators unlock? Does the controller somehow keep the actuators engaged? Anyone have any experience with these set ups?

crdnblu

I'm not too sure that you need to be concerned about the door-lock actuator (solenoid) strength being able to be over-ridden by your key; they typically operate on a "pulse" basis, & are not held in the locked/unlocked position by any current being present.
Hopefully others will chime-in here to confirm, or refute my statement.

Okiedokie

crdnblu, of course you are correct. Once I thoght about it and realized that it could not be powered at all times. I was correct the first time. the door key would still function.