'40 Ford electric door locks

Started by Learpilot, February 12, 2012, 07:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Learpilot

Has anybody put electric door locks on a '40 Ford with stock door latches ?
Thanks in advance !!!

Rick

crdnblu

Check out this link:

http://www.progressiveautomotive.com/online013A.htm

If I recall, '38 latches are similar to 40's.......

Learpilot

Quote from: "crdnblu"Check out this link:

http://www.progressiveautomotive.com/online013A.htm

If I recall, '38 latches are similar to 40's.......
THANK YOU !!! That is exactly what I am looking for, and I have all the parts !

THANKS AGAIN, Rick

Okiedokie

Wonder if the original locks will still work? Looks like they would.

Learpilot

Quote from: "Okiedokie"Wonder if the original locks will still work? Looks like they would.
It looks like that the original door locks will not work because they were cut in the first picture. I have not modified my locks yet ,but when I do I will let you know.
Rick

Okiedokie

57larry

has anybody replaced their springs in a 40 Ford door latch ? should I start a new thread? thanks

Okiedokie

enjenjo

Yes I have. Don't remember who, but the springs are available. You have to pry up the tabs to get the housing apart, the tabs often break off when doing this, I just hold it togeter with some tack welds. If the guts are worn, and more times than not they are, it may be more effective to buy new latches.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

57larry

Drake has the springs, which I have. Not sure if I have the nerve to tackle it

Okiedokie

enjenjo

Quote from: "57larry"Drake has the springs, which I have. Not sure if I have the nerve to tackle it

It's not really a big deal. It comes apart pretty easy, just pry up the tabs, and seperate the twp halves. You can repair any worn parts if you like, lubricate and reassemble. A tack weld will replace any broken tabs.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

57larry

ok, thanks, I'll give it a shot, I got a torch & welder

Okiedokie

Looks to me like you should be able to still use outside locks with the key, but not the inside with the door handle. I assume that they found the actuator would not overcome the spring. Anxious to see what you use for the bell crank and such. I had my latches out this weekend because they would not lock from the outside. I used the Drake kit to add a lock to drivers door and discovered that they made the leg for the outside olock cylinder in such a manner that it bound up the mechanism. I was able to bend the driver side to work but not the passenger. Fortunatly I had a good original passenger side. Although I don't bad mouth any repro stuff for the most part [just glad to have access to some] but the quality of the repro latch is nowhere near the original. At least I can lock it up now.

Learpilot

Quote from: "Okiedokie"Rick, any progress?
I have been flying a lot lately and have just started working. I bought a right rear door latch just to cut it like the drawing and make the mistakes with it before I start cutting on the '40s good door latchs. I have got the electrics working good. I think I will mount the controller behind the left kick panel. I still have not figured out how to have a mechanical back up in case the key FOB fails , or the battery goes dead. One thing I though of was to use a GM type door lock cylinder and hook it to the rod that moves up and down. If I remember the lock cylinder has  movement before the lock moves.
Some times my projects take a little longer because I can't work in the garage after work because I am not home. As my Wife says Flying off somewhere.
Rick