Spare Tire Jacks - Recommendations Please

Started by msuguydon, March 21, 2007, 12:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

I would be afraid of the small bottle jacks. With the base only about 4" square and the top only 1" in diameter they should only be used on a level hard concrete floor. A '58 Chevy had coil suspension in the rear and the safest way to jack it would be under the axle or front lower "A" frames. Also by jacking this way you only have to get the wheel off the ground, not jack until the suspension and shocks to pull that axel up. I'd get a little floor jack. The handle will keep you from having to crawl under the car to place it. I'd also find a board or a piece of plywood wide enough for the width of the jack wheels and maybe 3' long or longer. You can pile everything on top of it on the floor of the trunk but it might come in handy to get the jack under the axel in mud or gravel. I personally like to loosen or tighten lug nuts with a 1/2" drive breaker bar and the correct size of 6 point deep well socket. Also make sure you have the phone number of where you're going to call and have them come and get you. GPster

reborn55

Kids got me a small floor jack from Wal-mart for Christmas couple of years ago.  Was in its own case.  Fits perfectly in compartment in trunk of the 48 and the back ledge area of 55.  Only had to use it once.

Okiedokie