700R4 First gear whine

Started by Learpilot, January 04, 2007, 01:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Learpilot

I just got the 700 R4 working good.  It has the same whine down shifting back into 1st gear as my TH350 did. Does it have simular gears ? I know the gear ratio is different. It makes less noise up shifting just like the TH350.  Just wanted to know from all you experts.
Thanks, Rick Harris

Crosley.In.AZ

some gear whine is normal , some not.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Crosley"some gear whine is normal , some not.

8)

Tony I had noticed that if I left mine in 3rd and it shifted down to 1st it acted different than if I left it in OD and it shifted down to 1st.

Some time back you mentioned why that was.  I wonder if that might be the case here???

c ya,

Sum

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "1FATGMC"
Quote from: "Crosley"some gear whine is normal , some not.

8)

Tony I had noticed that if I left mine in 3rd and it shifted down to 1st it acted different than if I left it in OD and it shifted down to 1st.

Some time back you mentioned why that was.  I wonder if that might be the case here???

c ya,

Sum

you will feel a firmer down shift in 3rd gear position on the shifter because the over-run clutch pack is applied.....in OD the over-run pack is NOT applied.

8)
Tony

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Crosley"
you will feel a firmer down shift in 3rd gear position on the shifter because the over-run clutch pack is applied.....in OD the over-run pack is NOT applied.

8)

Yes it is much more abrupt in the 3rd position.  What is the over-run clutch and why is it applied in one situation and not the other??

Thanks,

Sum

Learpilot

Quote from: Crosleysome gear whine is normal , some not.

Thanks for the info. the noise is less that the Th350. I sure like the 700 R4!
Thanks again, Rick Harris.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "1FATGMC"
Quote from: "Crosley"

8)

Yes it is much more abrupt in the 3rd position.  What is the over-run clutch and why is it applied in one situation and not the other??

Thanks,

Sum

Over run clutch pack is for engine braking.... applied in 1 , 2 , 3 only.  

In over drive the forward sprag must 'over run'

:!:
Tony