do we have any RV ex-spurts on here?

Started by tomslik, December 11, 2006, 05:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "tomslik"
Quote from: "Crosley"T-slik.........

I gotta agree with you on this.  We have been researching a MH rental / purchase or motel room .  When I added everything together for a RV rental.... it would be a $500.00  a day rental.  I am not having fun at 500 bucks a day.

I do not wish to purchase a MH in fair shape , then do some repair on it .  Then  end up on the side of the road broke down.  Tow bills get expensive..... OK lets have  AAA tow it, then it still needs to be fixed.

I've been looking around a bit at travel trailers to pull behind the truck to b'ville.

there are many snowturds that sell the RV here.  if the old farts  die here , not much need for the RV any longer.

:shock:
well, last i heard was 175 a day and i thought THAT was nuts but i guess it really isn't when you figure motel rooms are 80 and up....

they putting gps in rentals like they are cars?
prolly going to be a surprise for ya when you turn in the rv....

geez cros, how much can go wrong with a mid-70's anything?
throw a timing chain+w/p in it and replace the t quad with anything else(if it's a mopar), do a little maintainence ahead of time and you're set.
my big concern is the RV end of it. i know nothing about the electricals and plumbing,etc...

I agree about the RV section of the unit.

regarding the rental $$$ .... I priced out stuff with Cruise America web site for the large class C rented out of Salt Lake City.  We then figured up everything for food , gasoline , generator operation , fees for dumping the black and grey water.  Taxes on the rental was at 14 % or higher if I recall correctly

It adds up quickly.  I was surprised

A friend told me that a low mileage RV that was lived in , the RV stuff can be worn out.  The RV stuff is not designed for constant use like  a person would do living in it.

:idea:

what about rust in  the wheel bearings, axle bearings on the rear diff, ring gear rust from sitting?

see the maintainence part?

Moisture / condensation  in the tranny?  Frictions delaminate from that.

you worry too * much. :lol:

Cooling  system clogged up from sitting???

30 year old radiator?
see the maintainence part again

think i ought to put some new, untested radiator hoses on it too?  

i'm not worried about the mechanicals, just the "house" part of it...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

58 Yeoman

Seems the people that I've talked with about used rv's is that the tires dry rot from age/sitting in the sun.  The tread may look good, but probably are cracked  from rot/age.

The 'rv' part probably wouldn't be a problem for me, as I've lived in enough mobile homes to kinda know how they're put together.  Pretty simple, but sometimes hard to get to what you want to work on.  I've also thought about getting one, but I just don't have any room to park one.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Fat Cat

Quote from: "tomslik"i'm not worried about the mechanicals, just the "house" part of it...

I think that Scott covered most of it. The water system is fairly simple and does not require much as far as work but when it breaks it can be costly. Water heaters break from freezing pumps go out often. Especially the newer ones. Toliets leak, roofs leak, and there is always a chance that something that is designed to be mounted stationary will break from vibration. But as long as you keep up on things it won't be a huge problem. I have seen customers leave with bills as small as $200 and as large as $5000.

enjenjo

QuoteThis however could of been some related damage from the previous adventure?

This typically happens because the lug nuts weren't tight enough.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

LOL...... I call it experience.

back in the late 1980's I had a customer that regularly found those cars you hear about.  Real low mileage , cream puffs , like new. He would find 1 or 2 a month

They looked new, but the sitting around had taken it's toll on all of them.

any how.......... tires are a concern.  Tires on my car trailer rot off, I seldom wear them out.

Here in AZ the plastic rots off the RV's from the ol sun thing.

have fun , see you at Bonneville in 07.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

LOL...... I call it experience.

back in the late 1980's I had a customer that regularly found those cars you hear about.  Real low mileage , cream puffs , like new. He would find 1 or 2 a month

They looked new, but the sitting around had taken it's toll on all of them.

i've always said the worse thing you can do to a vehicle is let it sit

any how.......... tires are a concern.  Tires on my car trailer rot off, I seldom wear them out.

thats why i don't buy new ones

Here in AZ the plastic rots off the RV's from the ol sun thing.

here too

have fun , see you at Bonneville in 07.

one way or another :lol:

Dave

Quote from: "tomslik"trailers can be cheap BUT i'll NOT be taking my truck out on the salt.
i can't afford to replace it...

Ok so what do you drive onto the salt? I may be there in 07 cause my stepdaughter is in utah now and now way do i wanna take my coupe, roadster , or harley (dunno what were taking yet) on the salt
Dave

tomslik

Quote from: "jusjunk"

Ok so what do you drive onto the salt? I may be there in 07 cause my stepdaughter is in utah now and now way do i wanna take my coupe, roadster , or harley (dunno what were taking yet) on the salt
Dave

i doubt we'll be takin' the harley (tough to sleep on the seat although it IS kind off a couch), was kinda hoping to take this 50 jimmy i'm building but i'm leaning more towards selling it than finishing it....
don't really want to take my newer one.....
thus the beater RV idea...
sumner sez it ain't that big a deal but....,well, i grew up in nebraska and they salted the roads.....
they mag chloride out here but i'm not sure thats any better.. :roll:

1FATGMC

Quote from: "jusjunk"...........and now way do i wanna take my coupe, roadster , or harley (dunno what were taking yet) on the salt
Dave

Why???? What did you build them for???  

There are hundreds of rods out there every year and they come back :D .

Sum

Crosley.In.AZ

i grew up in nebraska and they salted the roads.....

so what is your point about not driving your truck onto the salt? ~:)

just sell the truck when you get back to dry Colorado .... buy another used truck with fewer miles & less rust
Tony

tomslik

just sell the truck when you get back to dry Colorado .... buy another used truck with fewer miles & less rust

ever try and find a short wide regular cab 4x4 with a v8?

sirstude

Hasn't been a problem for me so far.  You just don't know the right guys.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Crosley.In.AZ

no......... I want more interior  space in a  truck....

:!:
Tony

tomslik

no......... I want more interior  space in a  truck....

:!:

had an x cab before this one, never again.
also wanted a truck that i didn't need kansas to turn it around...

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"had an x cab before this one, never again.
also wanted a truck that i didn't need kansas to turn it around...

xtra cab is a PITA in  a parking space when you have to open the 1/2 door.... open the main door , then try to open the 1/2 door while keeping the main door out of the way

4 door truck is great.  Really liked the 01 Ford super crew F-150.... some daze I wish I had it back.

My crew cab door chevy turns  sharp enough for me.
Tony