do we have any RV ex-spurts on here?

Started by tomslik, December 11, 2006, 05:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomslik

i may need to pick your brains in the near future....looking at picking up a cheap class C for b'ville....motel rooms are non-existant and renting one and then going out on the salt, well, you can buy 'em( an older one) for what 1 weeks rent would cost...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "tomslik"i may need to pick your brains in the near future....looking at picking up a cheap class C for b'ville....motel rooms are non-existant and renting one and then going out on the salt, well, you can buy 'em( an older one) for what 1 weeks rent would cost...

My dad had one that I used a lot.  It was older and I worked on it a lot but we had fun with it.  I always say that I worked on it in every state I went through, from the Florida everglades to top of the Rockies.   He took it to south Texas a couple of winters and lived in it for months at a time.  He told me that in the snow bird area of south Texas there are lots of motorhomes for sale at the best prices.  His theory is that older people drive them into the area and for a number of reasons they are unable or do not want to take them back north.

For the most part the drivetrain was in good shape on his, but everything on them seems to go bad quicker than most vehicles.  I guess it is cause the set idle so much.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

Fatcat does RV repair for a living now.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "tomslik"i may need to pick your brains in the near future....looking at picking up a cheap class C for b'ville....motel rooms are non-existant and renting one and then going out on the salt, well, you can buy 'em( an older one) for what 1 weeks rent would cost...

I take it that the "class C" is a motorhome.  My daughter and her husband have a large motorhome.  To me they look like owning a boat (sorry boat guys), and you are always working on them.

If you have something that can pull a trailer, how about a camp trailer?  A friend and I borrowed one of the pop-up/pop-out ones for b'ville once and it sure was nice at night with the breeze blowing thru.  I wouldn't want one for cold weather camping though.  Trailers can be cheap also.

Like was mentioned if you go to "Crosley country" aka. snowbird land a lot of people do go down there with trailers and motor homes that are too small and then trade them in.  I use to have an RV dealer from Casper, Wyo. stop in the store.  He would go to PHX and buy these smaller camper and take them back to Wyo. and sell them to hunters.

c ya,

Sum

Dave

Well ill tell ya what I know about em. If ya got a relative or ex brother in law thats got one like i do and you can talk him into driving to the sprint car races with a bunch of drunks that are paying for his ticket in for 2 nights buying him all the beer he wants and were all splitting for gas then thats the way to go to the races. Id never use one enuff to own one and i dont have a place to park it anyway but i could find a place. Were still kicking around the idea of a popup though just for the races that we cant get a room or a room close and want to stay the night instead of driving home. The motor home r/v is a lot more comfortable specially when ya need a shower from the dirt track. :!:  :?:
Dave :!:  :arrow:

Fat Cat

Quote from: "1FATGMC"I take it that the "class C" is a motorhome.

The Class A motor home, also commonly referred to as the conventional motor home, is a virtual "home-away-from-home" on wheels, fully loaded and equipped for short trips, lengthy vacations and full-timing.

The Class A is entirely constructed on a bare, specially designed motor vehicle chassis.
Size: 21 to 40 feet. Sleeps: Up to 10 people (depending on model)

A Class B motorhome is one that is a converted van. Roadtrek is the most common brand. This is like a 15 passenger van with a small bed and something that resembles a kitchen in the middle part.

The Class C motor home usually provides a sleeping bunk atop the cab in addition to a bedroom in the back. When not in use, this overhead compartment can also be used as a storage area.
Like the Class A, it provides at least four of the following permanently installed living systems: cooking, refrigeration or ice box, self-contained toilet, heating or air conditioning, a portable water system including water tank, faucet and sink, separate 100-125 volt electrical system, sleeping facilities and LP gas supply.

But what differentiates the Class C from the Class A is the unit's attached cab section and its Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 6,500 pounds or more. On the Class C, the RV manufacturer completes the body section containing the living area and attaches it to the cab section.

kb426

Put up a price range. There are some around me that could fill the need. It took me 3 years to get a motel room at Bville. In the mid 90's there were around 1400 rooms and about 5000 people showed up. My exp. has been that the salt destroys everything it gets close to. If you get a cheap enough motorhome and peddle it in short order, you don't have to find out if you were lucky or not.
TEAM SMART

tomslik

Quote from: "kb426"Put up a price range. There are some around me that could fill the need. It took me 3 years to get a motel room at Bville. In the mid 90's there were around 1400 rooms and about 5000 people showed up. My exp. has been that the salt destroys everything it gets close to. If you get a cheap enough motorhome and peddle it in short order, you don't have to find out if you were lucky or not.

now you got it!
they're all over the place around here for less than a couple grand mid 70's class c)and for that kinda $$, i can justify owning one and if it rusts out, BFD.
all i really care about is a bed a shower and a chitter

tomslik

Quote from: "1FATGMC"

I take it that the "class C" is a motorhome.  My daughter and her husband have a large motorhome.  To me they look like owning a boat (sorry boat guys), and you are always working on them.

If you have something that can pull a trailer, how about a camp trailer?  A friend and I borrowed one of the pop-up/pop-out ones for b'ville once and it sure was nice at night with the breeze blowing thru.  I wouldn't want one for cold weather camping though.  Trailers can be cheap also.

Like was mentioned if you go to "Crosley country" aka. snowbird land a lot of people do go down there with trailers and motor homes that are too small and then trade them in.  I use to have an RV dealer from Casper, Wyo. stop in the store.  He would go to PHX and buy these smaller camper and take them back to Wyo. and sell them to hunters.

c ya,

Sum

trailers can be cheap BUT i'll NOT be taking my truck out on the salt.
i can't afford to replace it...

Crosley.In.AZ

T-slik.........

I gotta agree with you on this.  We have been researching a MH rental / purchase or motel room .  When I added everything together for a RV rental.... it would be a $500.00  a day rental.  I am not having fun at 500 bucks a day.

I do not wish to purchase a MH in fair shape , then do some repair on it .  Then  end up on the side of the road broke down.  Tow bills get expensive..... OK lets have  AAA tow it, then it still needs to be fixed.

I've been looking around a bit at travel trailers to pull behind the truck to b'ville.

there are many snowturds that sell the RV here.  if the old farts  die here , not much need for the RV any longer.

:shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

1FATGMC

Quote from: "tomslik"trailers can be cheap BUT i'll NOT be taking my truck out on the salt.
i can't afford to replace it...

You know the salt isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be.  My truck is getting rust bubble on it, but I think a lot of that is going to Missouri twice a year with it.  Seems to always rain going one way or the other.  The other thing is that is has over 130,000 on it, so something has to happen in that amount of time :cry: .

If you drive out to the pits and back and to the starting line the salt the last 3-4 years gets so beat down on those roads you hardly get any on the vehicle.  Now you get off the beaten track like I do pushing Hooley and then going down to pick him up you get into fresh salt that can get kicked up into the wheel wells.

The other thing is the salt goes where the tires throw it, which is not down the middle of the vehicle.  The worst car I took out there was the '61 Chevy wagon I had.  Those vehicles had all kinds of places for the salt to get into between the front wheel and back wheel.  Something like my truck or a street rod with fenders gets the salt in the front and back fender areas and a little under the running board.  This salt comes off very easily with water.  It just either dissolves or chucks off.  Considering I've had my truck on the salt for like about 11 years and that is at least 55 days and probably a total of 1400 to 2000 miles of driving out there I don't think the results are that bad.  It is highly over exaggerated in my belief.  I'm sure I'll hear something to the contrary on that.

c ya,

Sum

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"T-slik.........

I gotta agree with you on this.  We have been researching a MH rental / purchase or motel room .  When I added everything together for a RV rental.... it would be a $500.00  a day rental.  I am not having fun at 500 bucks a day.

I do not wish to purchase a MH in fair shape , then do some repair on it .  Then  end up on the side of the road broke down.  Tow bills get expensive..... OK lets have  AAA tow it, then it still needs to be fixed.

I've been looking around a bit at travel trailers to pull behind the truck to b'ville.

there are many snowturds that sell the RV here.  if the old farts  die here , not much need for the RV any longer.

well, last i heard was 175 a day and i thought THAT was nuts but i guess it really isn't when you figure motel rooms are 80 and up....

they putting gps in rentals like they are cars?
prolly going to be a surprise for ya when you turn in the rv....

geez cros, how much can go wrong with a mid-70's anything?
throw a timing chain+w/p in it and replace the t quad with anything else(if it's a mopar), do a little maintainence ahead of time and you're set.
my big concern is the RV end of it. i know nothing about the electricals and plumbing,etc...

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"
Quote from: "Crosley"T-slik.........

well, last i heard was 175 a day and i thought THAT was nuts but i guess it really isn't when you figure motel rooms are 80 and up....

they putting gps in rentals like they are cars?
prolly going to be a surprise for ya when you turn in the rv....

geez cros, how much can go wrong with a mid-70's anything?
throw a timing chain+w/p in it and replace the t quad with anything else(if it's a mopar), do a little maintainence ahead of time and you're set.
my big concern is the RV end of it. i know nothing about the electricals and plumbing,etc...

I agree about the RV section of the unit.

regarding the rental $$$ .... I priced out stuff with Cruise America web site for the large class C rented out of Salt Lake City.  We then figured up everything for food , gasoline , generator operation , fees for dumping the black and grey water.  Taxes on the rental was at 14 % or higher if I recall correctly

It adds up quickly.  I was surprised

A friend told me that a low mileage RV that was lived in , the RV stuff can be worn out.  The RV stuff is not designed for constant use like  a person would do living in it.

:idea:

what about rust in  the wheel bearings, axle bearings on the rear diff, ring gear rust from sitting?

Moisture / condensation  in the tranny?  Frictions delaminate from that.

Cooling  system clogged up from sitting???

Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Tony

ONE37TUDOR

I have owned some type of RV for 42 years. Started out with a pickup cab over, went to small trailers 18 to 22' then to a 35' fifthwheel moved on up to a class A and hated the * thing!! drove like beached whale, hard to make up the beds due to space and everytime I needed it something was wrong with it.
Finally went back to a 33' King of the road fifthwheel with slide outs and have been very happy with it. Bought it new in 94 and have only had three small problems with it, Hot water heater regulator went out, plastic shower nozzle had to be replaced and the control panel needed work once. All total it was not over $500 for all of it.
Now the down side of a heavy trailer, I had to give up my one ton gas 460 and get a powerstroke to pull it the way I would like and the last two trips I have made with it I have had tire/wheel problems. Had both right side tires let go at the same time at about 75 on highway I-10. Had to find a tire shop that sold the heavyduty trailer tires to get back on the road. The the next trip one of the right side tires and wheel just departed - broke all the studs off and just left? This however could of been some related damage from the previous adventure?
I can't imigane being without an RV I have had one for so long now?

Scott...
SCOTT,  slow moving, slow talking, no typing SCOTT