Changes to the 2007 NSRA Event Schedule

Started by n.c.rodder, November 30, 2006, 04:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

n.c.rodder

Quote from: "Topsterguy"Hmmmmmmm, bummer! Sorry, but I guess I kind of look to NSRA events as being the hold out ones for pre 49 "hot rods"! I've been to the Golden State run in Sacramento twice and it was great, because it was all pre 49 cars.  Now I appreciate the thing about getting younger guys in etc etc if they're into hot rods, muscle cars, and street machines up to maybe in the early 60's..............but I have no use for "tuners". I guess I'm just really biased towards pre '49! :wink:

Its all about choices. :)  If you like the newer stuff, hey thats super. If you don't - then just pass them by. The whole idea is to get more people involved. :wink:

I'm a street rodder (own a 39 Chevy) but I've been to Milwaukee the past 2 years, and let me tell you, I've seen some mighty fine 50s & 60s vehicles there. They're as cool as any pre49 out there.

As for younger guys, you aught to see some of the Old Skool (aka Rat Rods) that are in the basement at Autorama. There's a few kids down there that can teach even a few old guys some new tricks! 8)

Mike
Till we meet - On the street

Fat Cat

Quote from: "Topsterguy"but I have no use for "tuners". I guess I'm just really biased towards pre '49! :wink:

Its a real same you feel that way. As I know a couple of guys in their late teens that are tuners. My son being one of them. His current ride is a 97 Ford Contour with a fart can exhaust, loud stereo and 16 aluminum wheels.

Recently he started a 59 Chevy Pickup. If it had not been for the fact that his father and grandfather allowed him to have an identity of his own and be a part of the current culture of his peers and forced him to be a pre-49 guy. He would have been shunned by his peers because he was one of "them" meaning someone with an attitude like yours. But we allowed him to enjoy his Contour his way. We do harass him about the fart can and the stereo. But it's his car so he can have it his way.

Now that he wants to build an older car we can influence his choices and impress upon him some idea of what we see when we look at his truck and maybe, just maybe, he will better understand how we think. This give him a unique perspective because he can understand not only his peers but his elders as well. That means he can be a part of both groups without having to offend either to be there.

If you don't take the time to show them the respect they deserve, and they do deserve it. Then you have no room to complain when they don't show you the respect you think you deserve. It's a 2 way street and if you aren't willing to turn down it from time to time then you are just futher segregating yourself from the overall picture of the hobby. Some of these kids have just as much ingenuity as you or I. They take cars that some conisder nothing more than roller skates and make them real pieces of art. I am not talking about the ones that have the 6 tier wings and the exhuast pipes wrapped around the quarters and pointed straight up in the air. I am talking about the ones that are built for speed and have very subtle outside appearences. One that you could set next to at a light and never know that it is capable of 180mph. Like the attached image below. Some of these guys learn how to work materials like carbon fiber so that they can build parts for the cars like hoods and ground effects.

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "Fat Cat"If you don't take the time to show them the respect they deserve, and they do deserve it. Then you have no room to complain when they don't show you the respect you think you deserve.

AMEN to that!

Their generation is fighting and dying over in the Middle East, and I think that earns them the right to drive whatever they please.

As far as the respect issue, Fat Cat is spot on!  .....I encounter quite a few of the younger crowd at our carwash.  ....I ignore the decal & wing guys, but show an interest in the true runners.  .....Their faces light up with pride, and they are shocked to see that some old fart understands, or cares about, what they're driving.    .....They are always courteous to me, and don't show "attitude.".

Whether you like it or not, you have to respect  their modern-day technology.  ...There are many 10-11 sec imports that could embarass many streetrods.  ....They also do it with HALF as many cylinders!

Of course, I can't cope with much of their music, and I can't stay up-to-date with their jargon.    :roll:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!