Ramblers Rotten Rail

Started by Gambler, January 29, 2006, 12:09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

My first impression would be fix it. I can't really tell by the picture if that bar going accross is a swaybar or the idler arm for the steering. If it is the idler arm that would explain those two bigger bolts comimg through the frame, they would be holding the steering box. I wouldn't worry about heavy plate because that part of the frame's most important task would be holding the bumper. Now a few thoughts. Most oil feild welders might be closer in line with welding something heavy and while they may be able to weld 1/4" plate it's hard to weld something heavy to something lighter. You might want to check around at some body shops and look for someone that does frame repairs. Might also check at a tech school and see if they have a class that teaches this kind of stuff. Might be a learning experiance for them. They don't get to work on Ramblers everyday. GPster

Gambler

Quote from: "GPster"My first impression would be fix it. I can't really tell by the picture if that bar going accross is a swaybar or the idler arm for the steering. If it is the idler arm that would explain those two bigger bolts comimg through the frame, they would be holding the steering box. I wouldn't worry about heavy plate because that part of the frame's most important task would be holding the bumper. Now a few thoughts. Most oil feild welders might be closer in line with welding something heavy and while they may be able to weld 1/4" plate it's hard to weld something heavy to something lighter. You might want to check around at some body shops and look for someone that does frame repairs. Might also check at a tech school and see if they have a class that teaches this kind of stuff. Might be a learning experiance for them. They don't get to work on Ramblers everyday. GPster

Yep, thats the idler arm then. The box mounts on a plate on the direct otherside of the rotted part of the frame.  Good, good, glad to hear what I had in mind may work :)  I'll start looking around, good point, the oil field guys *are* used to welding heavier stuff, and this frame rail is pretty thin stock. I can even ask at the steel yard, they'd know the local wizards.  Thanks for the feedback sir!!