Tranny Help needed.

Started by Dirk35, February 25, 2004, 07:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirk35

I have a flex plate that I got cheap ($40) from the same guy I got my heads from.

It has 164 teeth, and weighs in at 96oz (actually it weighed 5.99 lbs on the meat scale at the steak restraunt).

So, Is that the one with the 50oz weight?

I got a pic of it too if it helps, I can upload it.

Dirk35

Oh yeah, Ive tried calling that place in California, but have never got a ahold of anyone but the machine during normal business hours on CA time.

Ill try em again this afternoon.

Dirk35

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Will it ever end?

Contacted Fox-Windsor. They said they had (would not take the time is what he really meant to say) no way to look up what bell housing I had and for me to try to get Ford or a reputable tranny shop to look it up to find out what plate , adapter, and torque converter I need.

Dirk35

Well, the Ford dealer could not get the casting numbers to reference over, but  he said that he is almost positive that the tranny is from a 1980 Granada from the casting numbers on the side of the tranny and the pictures of it.

Leon

That confirms that the tranny needs the smaller flexplate, while the flexplate from the 83 engine would be the larger one.  You can't just bolt on an early flexplate because the balance is different.  You need the conversion flexplate.  If you use the 164 tooth one your starter will not fit and the smaller bolt pattern of the C4 converter won't bolt up, and if you put the stock type smaller flexplate on an 83 engine the balance will not be right.

Dirk35

Soooooooooo, what your saying is:

1. I need a normal C-4 torque converter (except I need a high stall one)
2. I need the plate that sandwiches between the tranny and the block
3. and I need the 28oz-157 teeth flex plate?

Leon

Quote from: "Dirk35"Soooooooooo, what your saying is:

1. I need a normal C-4 torque converter (except I need a high stall one)
2. I need the plate that sandwiches between the tranny and the block
3. and I need the 28oz-157 teeth flex plate?

1 Yes
2 Yes
3 You need a 157 tooth flexplate that has been modified to balance a later model 302.  It has a 50 oz balance.