Tranny Help needed.

Started by Dirk35, February 25, 2004, 07:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirk35

Hey, this might be a stupid question to some, but not to me.

Anyway. I have a 1983 Ford 302 (rear sump engine from a F100 PU) and a C-4 Transmission.

I dont know what the tranny is from, I got it at an auction from a Tranny shop that went outta business, and it was a customers rebuilt that was never picked up.

Anyway, I need to get a flex plate for it.  I got the part number for a 1978 Merc Marquis for that. Its $51 at Oreilleys Automotive. Will that work?

I also want to know, do I need an adapter (one of the ones that goes between the tranny and the block) plate to bolt the starter up? Or does my starter bolt into the tranny bell housing? Its more than an hours drive away, so I cannot just go out and look at it.

fordiac

there is a thin plate(pretty thin, maybe around 1/16th of an inch) that gets sammiched between the tranny and block, and the removable plate on the bottom attaches to this plate.

when the block plate and the removable plate are in place, it closes eveything up.

the starter bolts to the tranny.

Leon

Quote from: "Dirk35"Hey, this might be a stupid question to some, but not to me.

Anyway. I have a 1983 Ford 302 (rear sump engine from a F100 PU) and a C-4 Transmission.

Anyway, I need to get a flex plate for it.  I got the part number for a 1978 Merc Marquis for that. Its $51 at Oreilleys Automotive. Will that work?

Around '81 Ford went to a 50 oz balance weight, the 78 flexplate is a 28 oz and will not work with that engine.  The 81 and up flexplates are a little larger and will mate up with a newer C4 that has the larger bolt pattern converter.  What you probably need is a "converted" flexplate that will balance the later model engine but fit the C4.  You should call Windsor-Fox in Victorville.  They can give you the proper info and parts.  http://www.windsor-fox.com/main.htm
I can get some converter bolt circle dimensions tomorrow if you need them.  That will tell you if you have an early C4 or a later model (even possibly a C5 which looks the same as a C4 but was lut in later cars).

Leon

I just checked and the early C4 has a 10 1/2" Dia bolt circle on the converter.  That fits the pre-'81 smallblocks.  The late C4 and C5s use the 11 1/2 bolt patern.   (351s are an exception to this)

Dirk35

Ummmm, This may sound stupid, but I need to order the torque converter also.

I Should probably just take the whole tranny to a reputable shop and order my parts though him, huh?????

Leon

You'd be suprized how many "tranny guys" would screw it up.  Call Windsor-Fox and they can walk you through it.  Look on the bellhousing for a casting number, it should be a "C4xx" if it is a small flexplate, or something like "E2xx" if it is a large flexplate.  Have that info when you call Windsor-Fox and they can help you.  If the bellhousing is an early, they have the conversion flexplate you need.  Tranny shops may not be aware that the part exists (when I did mine a few years back they didn't know what I was talking about).  The converter is a stock item and you can get one anywhere.  If the tranny has the later "E2" housing, a stock flexplate and a large converter is what you need.  If you need any more help, e-mail me and I can help with photos as to what to look for, etc.

Dirk35

Ok, I went out to the shop, with out reading the post real close, so I didnt scruitinize the bell housing to find casting numbers on it. I looked it over(the bell housing), but not as close as I looked at the actual tranny.

I got the numbers on the tranny.

Heres a drawing I did up in paint real quick.

Im needing to buy the torque converter, the flex plate, and the starter plate that sandwiches between the block and the bell housing.

The Tranny has a removable bell housing, and a removable tail shaft.

Dirk35

Leon

Does the pan look like the picture?  Also, does the bell housing unbolt from the case or is it part of the tranny (one piece?).  If the bell housing is a separate piece, look on it for a separate casting number.

Dirk35

Yes, the bell housing un-bolts, not sure of the pan shape

Leon

Quote from: "Dirk35"Yes, the bell housing un-bolts, not sure of the pan shape
Ypu'll have to check the casting number on the bellhousing to see which flexplate you need.  Get the casting number from it.

Dirk35

OK, got the casting number from the bell housing.
The number is on the inside of the bolt face (the side that bolts to the tranny casing) hence I never saw a number the 1st time.

The number is: #D5BTP  7976-AA

The # (little pound sign) is cast on it, and the "B" and "T" are on top of each other.

Dirk35

Dirk35

Leon

Iv'e been told that tranny uses the small flexplate.  Your engine being an 83, needs the larger 50 oz balance flexplate which means you will need a conversion flexplate from someone like Windsor-Fox.  Call them to verify that.