Testing Webshots

Started by av8, March 11, 2004, 04:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

av8

Quote from: "Crosley"Mike,  some how I think there is more to the firewall mods than a metal cutout and a hammer... ;)

I sure like the firewall. It's good to see something different.  

Indeed it is a bit more complicated than what the three pictures indicate, Tony, and that's what the how-to will be all about. The flame pattern pushes the envelope for this type of work done with simple dies. The short version of the story is that the dies and the firweall are drilled so pop-rivets can be used to hold and index the dies and firewall in precise registration during the embossing, or stamping, which is done with a large press-brake (the big blue object you can see in the background).

This type and level of work is actually reasonably affordable (relative to the outcome). My friend who did the firewall can provide laser-cut dies from a customer's pattern for surprisingly few dollars. I don't have a price on the flame pattern, which was cut with a plasma-cutter last year before he upgraded to laser-cut dies. The plasma-cut dies require a lot of hand work to make them useable. I did see patterns for a laser-cut die that will be used to stamp runningboards for a '32 Chevy pickup that cost about $250. The pattern has a large Bowtie at the "step" point, with a neat scallop pattern that frames the Bowtie and trails back the length of the runningboard -- a very handsome piece of design.

The neat, hobbyist part of all this is that you can make the dies yourself, with a plasma-cutter or even whittling them from flat stock by drilling and filing, or you can have someone like my pal make them for you, and then you do your own setup which you take to a competent sheet metal shop to have the embossing/stamping done with a big press brake.

If you want to do small-area embossing, you can do it with a small hydraulic press or a hand-wielded hammer like the small Bowtie. Took my friend about 20 minutes to make the dies, done quick and dirty to illustrate that this isn't rocket science.

Fun stuff!

Mike

Bruce Dorsi

Mike, I suppose you probably don't want to disclose a lot of info before the article is published, but hopefully, you'll answer more questions about the process, now.

Typically, how much clearance is required between the male and female dies?  ..... Is it just the material thickness, or is more required?

Are the edges of the dies radiused, or does the clearance determine the "crispness" of the embossing?

I'm sorry for prying now, but my inquisitive nature is too impatient to wait for publication! :roll:

Thanks in advance, for any info you are willing to share! :b-d:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

enjenjo

I have embossed small parts using the die in a vise. Playing around with it, the clearance between the dies detirmines if you get a vertical edge, or a more tapered one. A sharp edge on the die will give you a sharp bend on the part. I had to manufacture most of the window lift mechanism on the 34 Desoto I finished last year, and many of the parts were made by embossing steel sheet in my vise. With a little thought, you can do ribs, and other stuff too.

There was a guy on Metalshapers that made the dies, and embossed door panels on an English wheel, using a flat anvil. It came out very nice.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.