Tar Removal

Started by enjenjo, July 12, 2005, 06:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "enjenjo"They just rebuilt and repaved the road by my house. My wife drove her car on it last week, just after they had put down fresh tar, now I have to get it off.

Since it is basecoat/clearcoat, I don't want to mess it up. Any suggestions on what to use?

Kerosene.
It is fairly easy to wash off the Kero with warm water and detergent and it will not leave oil residue impregnated in the paint.

47wood

Kerosene ...or as the old timers use to say; Coal Oil.  Reminds me or how the firemen washed their truck when I was a boy.  They'd put a cup of kerosene in 2 gallons of warm water then wash the truck using circular motions.  It would dry to a light haze then they'd buff it with a soft cloth.  Nice and easy.  Cal   :wink:
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

locklahn

I use a light solvent I buy from P&S auto detailing supply.  Use a soft terry cloth rag (only use the rag for the solvent) and then wax.  This solvent has also gotten off the yellow paint from when they paint the roads.  I'm sure right look or Detail king will have the same type of products

Crosley.In.AZ

if the tar is hardened..... a propane torch would soften it up

:shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)