OT/RANT- Are there ANY ethical businesses left out there?

Started by Bob Paulin, December 23, 2004, 11:03:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

Quote from: "Fift4fe""Character is doing the right thing when no one is watching"

J.C. WATTS

That sums it up very well.

More importantly, people are usually watching and you don't know it.  Like when you noticed the hitch ball incident and made some mental notes to guide your actions later.

Most importantly, YOU always know.  If you can't live with yourself you're in a world of trouble.

You did the right things, at the right times, for the right reasons.  In the end it'll come back to bite them.  It always does.  People aren't as dumb as the cheats like to think, and ultimately they don't even respect themselves.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Curly

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "tomslik"
funny thing about the holidays is that you find out how much or how little you mean to a company....

t-slik, very true words

I was told once by a manager that it was "Time to flush the toilet" at a Christmas party. When I asked what he meant he told me that if you fire the "floaters" after Christmas but before New Years it helps with the books by eliminating healthcare, vacation time/pay and insurance for the new year....I quit January 2nd....so he had to pay for my insurance, vacation earned and other benefits.

You did the right thing.

Crosley.In.AZ

the comments about the vendor shipping depts screw ups that Bob noticed coming into his former work place....  rings a bell with me.

Our shipping dept had problems from before I started at "the tranny / converter place".

Our shipping dept  has shipped the wrong , too many , mis-labeled, too little , mixed up ( you name it) parts and pieces......  :arrow:  whole trannys tooo!!!!

In the 5.5 years I have been there, EVERY person from the manager on down in the shipping dept has changed except ONE.  This one person is in jail at this point for 2nd DUI conviction.  I wonder if things will straighten up now?

At work I learned my value a week ago during a yearly job re-view. It was explained how the medical insurance costs had gone up and was concidered a big part of the little raise I received.  The company pays Full cost on each employee, we contribute nothing directly from our checks for medical insurance.  This is unusual in today's work place for a company to pay FULL cost of medical insurance on each employee.

I pointed out that I had "opted out" of the insurance since I receive better coverage / lower co-pays with my wife's insurance.  Company savings is around 2500 a year since I did not sign up

I got a glazed look when I asked if I should "opt in" to the medical insurance to receive my full pay raise.  :shock:

dont mean to steal ( LOL) the main point from Bob's original post......
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

SKR8PN

Crosley..........you can bet your sweet * they will CAREFULLY consider what,and HOW they say anything to you at your NEXT review :roll:
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

58 Yeoman

Tony posted:

QuoteAt work I learned my value a week ago......

Something similar happened to me last month.  I was just starting a liquid vinyl rail car unloading, when I looked at the sightglass, and saw that the vinyl wasn't clear.  I stopped it and called the tech guys.  The whole car, 25,000 gallons, was contaminated.  I stopped it before any reached the storage sphere.  The sphere holds 2,000,000 pounds of vinyl, of which none was contaminated ($600,000+).  Cleanup and  disposal, not to mention downtime, would have cleared a million bux easy.  I got a $150 check...before taxes.  

Bob, ya done good.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Something similar happened to me last month.  I was just starting a liquid vinyl rail car unloading, when I looked at the sightglass, and saw that the vinyl wasn't clear.  I stopped it and called the tech guys.  The whole car, 25,000 gallons, was contaminated.  I stopped it before any reached the storage sphere.  The sphere holds 2,000,000 pounds of vinyl, of which none was contaminated ($600,000+).  Cleanup and  disposal, not to mention downtime, would have cleared a million bux easy.  I got a $150 check...before taxes.  

Bob, ya done good.

======== phil....that is a heck of a   deal on the vinyl problem.

the terms "peak & maximum" were used the in the same sentence with the word salary during this last job review.  

:?
Tony

OlBuzzard

My wife and I pulled into Wal-Mart just before Christmas.  The wind was blowing hard and it caught my wife's door just as she opened it.  It put a crease in the fender of the minivan next to my pickup.  I left a note giving my name and phone number.  Nobody else witnessed it except us--and our consciences.  Do what's right, it'll shock everybody!

Bob Paulin

Quote from: "OlBuzzard"My wife and I pulled into Wal-Mart just before Christmas.  The wind was blowing hard and it caught my wife's door just as she opened it.  It put a crease in the fender of the minivan next to my pickup.  I left a note giving my name and phone number.  Nobody else witnessed it except us--and our consciences.  Do what's right, it'll shock everybody!

Interestingly, I got two noticable dings in the passenger door of my pickup a month or so after I got it......

(It must not have been you, since I got no notes......LOL!!!!)

I just chalked it up to a kid falling against the truck with his bike, since I parked right next to a sidewalk in the NAPA store parking lot....

.....but it would have been refreshing to have a kid come in and, at least, apologize for the accident. I don't think I would have been comfortable expecting him to pay anything.

Of course, there's the old joke about the guy who is seen by a number of witnesses, leaving a note after bumping a parked car.

On the note he wrote, "Everybody thinks I'm leaving you my name and address....but, I'm not!"

I'm sure you will sleep tonight, and all the nights to come....and THAT's what matters.

B.P.
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Bob Paulin"

Of course, there's the old joke about the guy who is seen by a number of witnesses, leaving a note after bumping a parked car.

On the note he wrote, "Everybody thinks I'm leaving you my name and address....but, I'm not!"

B.P.

that happened to my niece in Elpaso TX..... she walked out of the place and caught a guy writing the note, people had witnessed him hitting her car.  Nothing on the note was correct ... name , phone number , nothing.  He apologized , was pleasant, etc

My niece's friend had the presence of mind to get his car's plate numbers.  My brother found him, the kid paid for the  damage.
Tony