Mysterious A/C service port problem, 1999 Grand Prixs

Started by idrivejunk, June 20, 2021, 02:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

I'll try that. The way I went about it just now while chowing down, the part name is A/C System Valve Core and only kits come up. In the GPD brand picture, I can't tell if its the high or low side but you get 3 extra valves plus caps for both and the item has the popularity heart next to it. Next item down is another brand of kit which is under the same title but followed by "includes high side primary seal". Every parts counter in town probably has them but if I get the part off then walk in and show it to a typical inked pincushion bilingual teenage counterperson of indistinguishable gender, somehow I doubt I'll get past blank stare due to confusion over terms.

Rodding must be murder, I feel sorry for you unbroken-spirited guys. If an expert part answer is needed, one must become that on their own and then answer themselves. You guys are the most helpful bunch known to me to exist.  :)

Much obliged. Will update if developments are positive. :arrow:
Matt

idrivejunk

Only headway made yesterday was to borrow a 16mm wrench for backing up the line part. Guy who loaned it swore he was a certified A/C tech and that no pulling a vacuum is required. Yikes.

Anyhow... Still wondering if GM had a special socket for the port itself because nothing fits.

But today I looked at O'Reilly's site and bam there it is, A/C service port. "Delco A/C Hose Valve" #15-5438. $5.69 not in stock in town.

also-

Dorman OE Solutions A/C Schrader Valve" #800-955, $8.99 and a store across town has it.

I'd bet dealers stock them. Sometimes I miss being at a GM dealer. Any line tech surely knows about this or a parts guy might be able to tell me if theres a J tool or whatever, to fit them. What a circus without prior knowledge. Both parts above are just for the high side.

I am beginning to suspect that at least the high side valve's core is intended to not be replaceable and thats why the tool doesn't fit inside the ports.

Luckily we are having a cool snap. It barely made it into the 70s yesterday. :)
Matt

idrivejunk

A/C high and low side octagonal service port socket set for 134a, $19 on Amazon. Mystery solved! :!: Keyword: octagonal. Not hex.

After pondering on it a spell, I reckon the factory can test each fitting / valve assembly and assume that the O-ring won't leak... but that a good many of the Schrader valves inside the fittings will. And those fittings get scrapped or sold to guys like me. That explains why the ports don't let a tool in, you replace the fitting instead. Aw-right. Got it now. Can I be on team smart yet? :lol:

The Grand Prix forum is crumbling on ruins but I probably should have pestered them first. A blue oval man came up with the clue though.  :)
Matt

idrivejunk

Hot dog! :)

I walked into an AutoZone and bought the Santech MT2901 kit. That rubber thing is in the new fitting too, and the Schrader valve goes in the bottom of it. Resulting in the confusion, never having noticed one in an inverted position. Which doesn't matter but sure threw me.

A little Dremel persuasion of a cheapo open end 9/16" wrench created a tool which I just used to R&I the GTP's high side port as a tool test. Yep, can blow right through the old one. But I intend to put this kit on the GT and give the coworker another shot at evacuate and recharge. If'n I feel sufficiently froggy tomorrow, I'll go snag a compressor and another port seal kit, slap that on and wowzers... have a shot at fixing the air in both cars. Imagine my delight should that come to pass.  :D

This is a common setup on any GM around turn of the century, maybe something you guys will drive or need to fix too someday.

As is not uncommon, I was disproportionately dumped down about this. For compound depression-inducing reasons. Standard Saturday operating procedure for me however, involves putt-putting my trusty noble 455 Pontiac around our rural rip-snort loop regardless of sulk or glee level and in her special way that only she can do... nudging me with a couple sharp barks on the 1-2 part throttle loaf and eventually beckoning me to spin her up past four grand with glasspacks at full song... she righted me once again. Shortly thereafter, I found myself at a parts counter with bootstraps back in hand, doing the first sentence ^^^.

Glory be. Theres hope. Disproportionate jubilation on the flipside for sure, if I get shed of Mr. Can't. Really doesn't matter if I come across as an idiot, that ship has sailed.  :lol: Thanks for the positive vibes, men. :P>
Matt

idrivejunk

Step two. GT has both new valves in place (used "dude lube" [spit] on the port O ring) and it was completely empty. Found A/C machine operator's pick laying on the core support. He was eager to say needs a line and shut the hood. As it turns out, there was nothing wrong with that high side fitting and valve until a pick entered. So now I have done repair work caused by him. If he comes up telling me I put RTV on the valve again, I'll scream. If he had just connected the machine as normal, one plain valve I already had was all it might have needed to seal. In theory I could reinsert the rubber thingy and use the GT's old port on the GT.

By the way, I did see if the whittled down valve core tool fits the valve in the high side fitting. It did not. So, that port is replace assembly only, I guess.

What I can't still figure is the new fitting has a black O ring like the old. Along with two extra Schrader valves for the low side, the fix kit came with one green O-ring. It fits atop the flat on top of the high side port and inside the cap just right.

My understanding is that green O-rings are for A/C. Like that one should be where the black one is. Any advice as to whether that ring goes under the high side cap? No instructions, a guy is just supposed to already know all these things.  :roll:

:?:
Matt

kb426

The pic I saw showed the oring on the male threaded end under the hex portion where it would be threaded into the line.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Right. New and old port both have black O rings. But theres a loose green one in the kit that I don't know what its for.

Heres the AZ link:

https://www.autozone.com/cooling-heating-and-climate-control/a-c-system-valve-core-and-cap-kit/santech-a-c-system-valve-core-and-cap-kit-mt2901/947262_0_0

That pic shows the preinstalled ring and the loose one but both are green.  :?  Do you think it might just be a spare ring for the port fitting?
Matt

idrivejunk

Welp, no matter. Yesterday we finally got a machine hooked to the GT with new port valve / seal stuff in. Pulled a vaccum, didn't hold.

End of story.
Matt

kb426

Have you looked all over the system for signs of an oil leak? In my exp. the oil goes out at the same time as the freon leaving a trail.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Well, as it turns out, weeks later...

Got some time off from work and took the GT to the nearest shop to home. They said it held, and charged it. So

I HAVE A/C IN A CAR NOW!!!  :b-d:

At least I didn't wait all summer to take it in. It took about an hour. They noted residue on the compressor and advised. $127.45, fixed.

The world looks a little better now. :)  Happy ending.
Matt

kb426

TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Truer than you know, Bill. :) Emphasis on today.

It worked for about a day. Still blows coldish on passenger side, which is how this design works. Low refrigerant= hot driver's side. I don't even have a passenger seat in either car. :roll:

So, we go from guys at work lied to guys at A/C shop lied. I must learn to read between the lies. At least I didn't lie when I told my concerned parents at the start of this week's heat wave, that I had car A/C.
Matt