Methanol or E85?

Started by Beck, December 07, 2015, 09:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

I agree with Beck. That's why I would run methanol. I had to have that shipped in 55 gallon drums to me. It was a pita from the beginning to the end. But that was back in the dark ages. :)
TEAM SMART

jaybee

I always thought it would be a neat project to build an engine around E85. Then again I wasn't aware of any issues with consistency of the fuel. Sounds like you'd have to be very conservative with it and not try to run on the ragged edge of compression ratio and such.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

phat46

Unrelated to the original question, but kind of funny. We have only one station locally that sells E-85. It used to be cheaper than regular gas, now it's at $3,25/ gal, regular gas at same station is $1.74. 😀

chimp koose

Phat 46  I wonder if that's because corn is probably worth more than oil now

Mikej

Quote from: "phat46"Unrelated to the original question, but kind of funny. We have only one station locally that sells E-85. It used to be cheaper than regular gas, now it's at $3,25/ gal, regular gas at same station is $1.74. 😀

It was $1.59 here yesterday. Never heard of these problems. Seem like Hot Rod has articles on people running e-85 all the time.

Mikej

My latest Hot Rod magazine has an article on race gas. Methanol and e-85. You can buy C-85 instead so you know its 85%.

Rrumbler

Just a comment on the "equipment" issue: the trucks use the same hoses and equipment regardless of the product they are delivering.  A semi trailer with five compartments may carry 4000 gal. of 87 octane gasoline, and 4500 gal. of diesel at the same time, and he may have delivered 8500 of diesel, or e10, or 92 octane the trip before this one.  There is always some leftovers in the sumps and headers, or "drops", sometimes as much as 10 to 20 gal. that gets mixed into whatever is carried in that compartment next time; they don't wash out or clean the tanks.  My Son used to haul gasoline and diesel locally, and from time to time, he'd make a few runs to Los Angeles to bring back lube oil in his semi trailer, then go back to hauling gasoline, or "jet" fuel again.  So, if you're going to be serious and consistent with your race cars, buy race gas from a trusted source, don't trust to the vagaries of the general trade.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

kb426

TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

I found this neat little E-85 tester at Jeg's ... Looks so simple that even I could prolly use it ... :lol:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/26-147/10002/-1

Bob...
:wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****