AOD torque convertor shudder?

Started by junkyardjeff, January 30, 2013, 08:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

as I posted on another web forum and here... the converter on the AOD trans does not use a clutch setup like most other domestics of the same years.

AOD goes to direct drive in 3rd gear via a spring loaded  splined hub inside the converter.  The smallest inner input shaft on the AOD connects the 3rd gear drum to the converter.

A bad splined hub , broekn springs, could be a problem.  3rd gear in the AOD is very weak design and may be the problem area with wear and possible low main line pressure causes the clutch pack to chatter some.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Quote from: "Arnold"
Quote from: "enjenjo"Ford has an anti-shudder additive, I used it in my Escape and it cured it.

Great info. How long have they had that? I guess it is dealer only?

My local independent shop carries it in stock. Lucas Oil also makes one.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

a few things

aod trouble shooting and line pressure check and chart.

http://bmracing.com/wp-bnmcont/uploads/40227.pdf

http://www.becontrols.com/tvlinkage.htm

and you will need one of these if you don't already have one.. cheep compared to the price of an AOD.   i think the transmission specialty versions had a slightly longer hose but this should reach..

http://www.harborfreight.com/engine-oil-pressure-test-kit-98949.html

i am also taking that you have the proper TV cable ratio adaptor lever for your throttle lever on the carb..  1 inch or 25mm center of shaft to center of pivot point as i recall

junkyardjeff

Changed the fluid today and so far its better,I was suprised to see the tube plug in the pan when I dropped it as I thought it would have been changed since when I bought it the mileage was 110,000. The fluid was nice and red when I bought it and looked fresh but if the pan had not been pulled it seemed to get fresh fluid some how or not abused,for 170,000 miles it was the cleanest pan I ever pulled as there was nothing in the bottom and almost did not need cleaned but the magnet had some stuff on it. Going to see how it does and not looking forward to changing a trans on it since there is not that much room compared to one of my trucks.

Arnold

Quote from: "junkyardjeff"Changed the fluid today and so far its better,I was suprised to see the tube plug in the pan when I dropped it as I thought it would have been changed since when I bought it the mileage was 110,000. The fluid was nice and red when I bought it and looked fresh but if the pan had not been pulled it seemed to get fresh fluid some how or not abused,for 170,000 miles it was the cleanest pan I ever pulled as there was nothing in the bottom and almost did not need cleaned but the magnet had some stuff on it. Going to see how it does and not looking forward to changing a trans on it since there is not that much room compared to one of my trucks.

My last 3 vehicles over the last 3 yearsstill have them)I have done  a huge amount of driving. Not knowing the repair history I have changed their trans fluid by siphoning out 1 L with one of those vacuum pumps. And adding adding  1 L of fluid. Driving it for about 2K miles and then doing the same thing with 2L ditto at 4K, 4L at 6K and changing the fluid,filter at 10. These are old vehicles for daily drivers. Trans are all good in all of them fingers crossed. I too was astonished at just how clean these things were when I went to change the filters. Looking back I wished I had not botherred to change the filters..but that would of course have been the time when the filter was bad.

junkyardjeff

I never had any problems doing a complete fluid change in automatic trans,I had one that the fluid was so bad it would barely pull itself but after a fluid and filter change it lasted for years afterwards.