Aftermarket steering column comparison

Started by unklian, May 22, 2013, 03:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

halfdone

Quote from: "Monte.b"gee Mark doesnt this company make cast iron dropped axles ,one of my favourite hates

multiple companies making columns are named in the info sheet, but yes one of them does make axles that I believe are cast

Cast axles are very common in many brands of vehicles, including huge semi's ......nothing wrong with them IF they are made correctly, from the correct grade of casting material (SG Iron for instance)

I personally however run good old Henry Ford forged axles, not because I think they are any better...... I just like them

Monte.b

Quote from: "halfdone"
Quote from: "Monte.b"gee Mark doesnt this company make cast iron dropped axles ,one of my favourite hates

multiple companies making columns are named in the info sheet, but yes one of them does make axles that I believe are cast

Cast axles are very common in many brands of vehicles, including huge semi's ......nothing wrong with them IF they are made correctly, from the correct grade of casting material (SG Iron for instance)

I personally however run good old Henry Ford forged axles, not because I think they are any better...... I just like them

I think you will find most truck axles are dropped forged or cast steel not cast iron ,i certinly wouldnt use a cast iron axle as when they have an impact they will not bend but break

halfdone

SG Iron, cast correctly and at the right temperature, is reasonably ductile and will bend not break

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ductile_iron

Lots of suspension stuff is also done in investment cast stainless, in various alloys

Monte.b

Quote from: "halfdone"SG Iron, cast correctly and at the right temperature, is reasonably ductile and will bend not break

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ductile_iron

Lots of suspension stuff is also done in investment cast stainless, in various alloys

Mark ive been working in steel and stainless for 40 yrs but what would i know ,as some site on the computer tells me im wrong ,time will tell who is correct ,i just hope nobody is hurt in the process,i guess we had better get back on the subject here before these boys think us aussies are fruitloops

Carps

Quote from: "Mac"
Quote from: "Crosley"
A fellow commented to me last week;  the Chinese people have great engineers, great equipment, great - hard working people  and they choose to put out low quality parts instead of  the best parts

We dictate the price point we want a widget made for and they fill the order....the Wal-Mart model.

Yup, ask for quality and you'll get as good as anything from anywhere else in the world, ask for cheap and that's exactly what they'll make for you.

The real blame rests squarely on the shoulders of those who demand the cheapest price, not the folks who build it to meet the order.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Carps

Quote from: "Carps"
Quote from: "Mac"
Quote from: "Crosley"
A fellow commented to me last week;  the Chinese people have great engineers, great equipment, great - hard working people  and they choose to put out low quality parts instead of  the best parts

We dictate the price point we want a widget made for and they fill the order....the Wal-Mart model.

Yup, ask the Chinese for quality and you'll get as good or better than anything from anywhere else in the world, ask for cheap and that's exactly what they'll make for you.  I'd imagine the same applies to US made, just as it does Australian made.  You gets what you ask and pays for.

The real blame rests squarely on the shoulders of those who demand the cheapest price, not the folks who build it to meet the order.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

butch27

Crosley.In.AZ

Interesting that this problem just now surfaced.

I wonder how many columns are out there like this?

Or was this a recent change the manufacture process & materials?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)