Junk tires

Started by enjenjo, August 22, 2012, 11:48:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold

Here in Ontario what started off as we can all take tires to the dump became..NOONE can take tires to the dump..then 3 a year or something..then $5 each...limit of 3 or 4 a year..then it was the
"stewardship" tire $5 fee that was charged and MUST be paid at the time lof new tire purchase. Then the tire dealers could take them and pay it.
Then very quietly the $5 fee was still charged and people could take tires to the dump for free. SOOo one pays the $5 and "someone" gets to dump them for free. The tire retailers still insisted on charging the $5 and keeping it. Now..anyone can take tires..on or off rims to the dump for free.Last time I bought new tires..they asked me if I wanted the old tires and I said yes..they took the $5 fee off and I took them to the dump for free on my way home.

Boyd Who

Our landfill takes them for free and keeps them separate for recycling.

wayne petty

i guess it's time to start thinking about tire cutting jaws for hydraulic log splitters.    

set up so with a single sliding jaw between two fixed jaws... so when they get dull... you lay the pieces on their side on the surface grinder and take some of the sides... making the whole assembly thinner each time you need to sharpen it..

```````````(_____________
__======______======_|

could be cut on a mill or a water jet    three jaws so there is no separation forces.. just takes a single strip out of the side of the tire...

allows you to quarter the tire easily..  

just an idea..

wait... now you will need a big surface grinder...

brake rotors... hub and bearing assembly... belt and a several horsepower motor..  more hub and bearing assemblies to swing the arm holding the grinder head you have created.. so you can create something like a blockmaster rotary broach.. but with a high speed grinding wheel

57larry

my garbage man takes them if they fit in my can. 1 14 inch fits

WZ JUNK

I found out this morning that my regular trash truck will take tires if I cut out the sidewalls.  The sidewall, just below the thread, are fairly easy to cut with a sharp knife or a sawzall with a wood cutting blade.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH