Tow Vehice

Started by enjenjo, January 03, 2012, 04:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold

I have a 94 1 ton extended Chev Van. I got talking to a guy who does quite a bit of towing..he usually tows around  4 tons. He has had quite a  few vans like mine..and is on to the newer ones. He now has several fairly new ones. He swears by the 1 ton vans with the 6 litre gas engine. He has had and still has diesels. He says the diesels are nowhere near as fuel efficient as the gas ones..and nowhere near as powerful..and cost a fortune to maintain! until there is a fair bit over 4  tons being towed. He says that at that point they are even in fuel efficiency,power..with the diesels taking over in power and fuel efficiency as the weight rises a fair bit over 4 tons. Pretty hard to beat a 1 ton van with a big gas engine for a tow vehicle. Even my old van with a truck 350 is nothing to laugh at when it comes to pulling.

enjenjo

QuotePlease take into consideration that Ambulances sit idling the entire shift.

I bought a firetruck one time that had 5,000 road miles on it, and was on it's second engine.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58Apache

I am building my own two vehicle with my 58 Dually. I have a Dana 70 dually rear end out of a motor home and am adapting that to a 3/4 ton frame from 72. That newer frame gets me independent suspension, power steering and disc brakes up front. TH400 going to get rebuilt to be put in it.

The only major big ticket items I need is a custom HD radiator and a gas tank to put in the frame. Oh, and likely an A/C unit?

I am sure you could make a nice classic tow vehicle, and even put in a diesel or LS1 if you wanted?  I know, cheaper to buy a used one. True! But a classic would fit in with all you do and would be done right!

Steve

phat rat

Quote from: "58Apache"I am building my own two vehicle with my 58 Dually. I have a Dana 70 dually rear end out of a motor home and am adapting that to a 3/4 ton frame from 72. That newer frame gets me independent suspension, power steering and disc brakes up front. TH400 going to get rebuilt to be put in it.

The only major big ticket items I need is a custom HD radiator and a gas tank to put in the frame. Oh, and likely an A/C unit?

I am sure you could make a nice classic tow vehicle, and even put in a diesel or LS1 if you wanted?  I know, cheaper to buy a used one. True! But a classic would fit in with all you do and would be done right!

Steve

I'm curious. What are you running for gear and motor?
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

58Apache

I have a 350 small block I am going to use to help keep it reliable and easy to fix, and help keep the cooling issues down.

I don't know yet what is in the Dana 70 if that's what you mean by "gear". Being from a motor home I'll bet it's up there in ratio?

I am going to use a TH400 for the tranny. I have it and just need to get it rebuilt.

Steve

WZ JUNK

I have this Chevy in the shop presently.  It belongs to our friend Jerry and he can not physically drive it now.  He wants to sell it and he would make a good deal to someone.  The truck is pretty much a new build and has been driven very little.

I am working on the original door latches, trying to make them latch easier and a couple of other minor things.  

You would look good pulling a trailer with this.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

I bought another truck today. It's another Ford, a 99 E250 heavy duty. Body is pretty nice outside of a couple dents, 4 new tires on it. It has a CEL on, and the seat belt light is on. I have to get the scanner on it to pull some codes. It seems to run fine, I don't think it has any serious problems. In any case, I bought it for $1400, even if it is something serious, I can afford to fix it. It is a private fleet maintained truck, so for the most part in pretty good shape, just needs a good cleanup. It has a SOHC 5.4 V8, not my first choice.

If it does have serious problems, I think I'll put a LS and a 4L80E in it.

wayne petty

on 99 5.4's  if it throws a P0171... or similar.. before going to replace the oxygen sensors..   i bet you will find a vacuum elbow or 4 that have collapsed up around the intake..

this works good when cut slightly off center on some of them.

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/drm/46002/image/4/

don't forget.. that is a loosen with a beam type torque wrench type of spark plug..   there was a link on it..  then spray cleaner around the spark to soften the carbon.. wait. you know all of this..

do listen and then feel the vacuum elbows for collapsed sections.. fixed a LOT of misfires and p0171s that way..

enjenjo

The code reader come up as a P0401 Low EGR flow. This can be several things, EGR passage plugged, DPFE sensor, EGR valve, or the vacuum elbow. I have to check it out this weekend.

I have been tinkering around with some of the other stuff, still have to get the door locks fixed, none of them want to work.

wayne petty

take a look at the DPFE sensor..  if its aluminum.. its probably junk.. the black plastic version is a new design.. instead of moving the diaphragm back and forth .. it has 2 individual pressure sensors in one. no way for it to really fail..
http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/wl2/SU2108/image/4/

you will also want to examine the EGR vacuum control valve/solenoid..  2 wires.. 2 vacuum hoses.. two small nuts holding it on..
i can see the EGR Vacuum solenoid bolted to the manifold.. follow the small hose from the EGR valve ...

1999 LINCOLN NAVIGATOR 5.4L V8 DOHC : Emission : EGR Vacuum Solenoid  
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # VS63  EGR Vacuum Solenoid.

both of those contribute to P0401..

this might really help also...  really helps to know what the computer is thinking....

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/diagnostics/pdf/obdsm99b.pdf

there are other years available at

http://www.motorcraftservice.com

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/retail/default.asp?pageid=diag_theory_retail&gutsid=diagsheet&menuIndex1=15