58 Dually - towing

Started by 58Apache, June 13, 2010, 10:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldSub

Quote from: "Rrumbler"You should check an interchange manual, but I am fairly sure that if you can find a 3500 dually from '73 to '87, the rear axle will be a direct fit for your spring width, and the front spindles along with all of the brake and wheel stuff will swap, too.
If the '72 3/4-ton is the standard configuration for a Chevy it will have the long trailing arm rear suspension.

To swap the dually stuff to the '72 you'll probably want the a-arms and the newer ('73+) style control arm shafts because the parts are said to be both better and cheaper.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

Rrumbler

Ooops!  Forgot about that trailing arm business on the "light duty" trucks.  Had a '71 one ton flatbed that had leaf springs and duals, and never gave the difference a though; it was a 4x4, though.  But it does seem to me that I understood that most of the later model stuff would either fit, or easily adapt to the earlier trucks.

Pardon my red face.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

58Apache

Ok I just looked and took pics of what was there on the 72 frame. With the coil springs I suspect it's a lighter duty rear end and won't allow me to use it as a dually and still maintain stability for heavy towing operations?  Here's a couple of pics of what I have on that 72 frame. Can you tell me which one it is?

OldSub

That is long arm suspension last used by GM in '72.  Nothing inherently wrong with using to tow and NASCAR race cars used that design for many years just ending with a drive train rules change in  the last few years.

The rear pictured is an Eaton.  If you like the gears and brakes and its in good condition there is no reason not to tow with it.  If it needs any work at all I'd suggest either a GM 14-bolt or a Dana 70HD or bigger.

The second picture looks like the frame end of the upper control arm bracket from your '72.

Steve@OldSub.com

58Apache

I have a lead on a Dana 70 Dually for $150   I can use the one in the 58 now as I really don't need to go fast but I do worry about parts availability.

I think I remember call bearing style bearings in those? But I think they make an upgrade replacement to roller bearings? If I replaced those outter axle bearings would I need to worry about reliability or parts?

Wouldn't the leaf springs on the dually rear end provide more stability than the coils?

OldSub

Quote from: "58Apache"I have a lead on a Dana 70 Dually for $150
If its usable that is probably a good deal though you might find an even cheaper one.  On the other hand the rock crawler guys use these so they may drive the price up.

Quote from: "58Apache"I think I remember call bearing style bearings in those? But I think they make an upgrade replacement to roller bearings? If I replaced those outter axle bearings would I need to worry about reliability or parts?
Price those parts.  Last time I looked they were more expensive than the alternatives and some of them I've been told are very hard to find.

Quote from: "58Apache"Wouldn't the leaf springs on the dually rear end provide more stability than the coils?
I don't know that to be the case though when I used a '72 with that suspension to tow the rear suspension never seemed to be a problem.  I've only looked that I remember under two 1-ton dually trucks from that period and they both had the Eaton rear and leaf springs.

Steve@OldSub.com

PeterR

Quote from: "Fat Cat"Just some advice, from someone that deals with wheel covers all the time. Avoid them at all costs. They really are more trouble than they are worth. The rattle, squeak, .......

A few years ago I purchased a low mileage ex dealership demo sedan.   It had an intermittent noise from one of the kerb side wheels that sounded like a disk pad dragging or the dust shield rubbing on the disk and only occurred at low speed usually when rolling to a stop at traffic lights.

Reckon it went back ten times to the dealership who were very patient checking pads, calipers, bearings etc though it would never show itself while they had the vehicle.

One morning while driving in the car park at work it started again, so I rolled down the passenger side windows and asked one of the young secretaries standing there if she could walk beside the car and pinpoint if it was the front or back wheel.   After moving a few yards she signalled me to stop, took off her shoe and hit the wheel cover with it, at the same time calling out "when my car makes that noise I hit the cover with my shoe and the noise goes away for about six months".

It was fine for six months, then responded again to the same treatment.