Steering column question

Started by WZ JUNK, May 06, 2009, 12:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne petty

there is one more thing...

once in a while on higher end models...  you will find that the normally empty connections on the turn signal switch connector have 3 wires in it..

that is for the cornering lights....  these are usually 1156 bulbs in the sides of the front fenders that light up the area you are turning into ...  also lets people know that you are planning on moving your tuna boat in that direction..

switched power up one of the wires... the other 2 feed the lights individually..  there is not a lot of amps drawn by a single 1156 bulb..  so if you want to use them for some brighter bulbs.. you might want to use a relay for both sides...

when installing or removing the turn signal switch harness... it comes out with a little doing..  you do have to drop  a few parts and remove the plastic wire cover/guide that stops the gear shifter bowl from cutting into the harness and shorting things out...     i usually tape the one end of the connector to the flat ribbon of wiring harness.. then with a long skinny screwdriver work it out...   with tilt columns.. you do have to work the tilt sometimes  to get a proper angle to feed them through...  but it is far easier than chopping and splicing them....

when a turn signal problem pops it head up..  turn signal switches do not have to be installed to test the cars wiring...   just plug in one who's plug matches...

and for those with jaguars...   and the bulb failure light pops up on the dash and won't go away...  resoldering the relay boxes internal circuit boards will usually make it go out...

model a vette

Maybe this will help:

88 GM column wiring

E - tan from drivers door switch" for key buzzer ground with door open
F -Light green from "key in ign switch" warning buzzer
G - black to horn switch
H- Light blue to left front turn signal and left turn dash indicator
J - Dark Blue to right front turn signal and right turn dash indicator
K - Brown from hazard flasher
L - Purple from turn flasher
M - Yellow to left rear turn signal/brake light bulb
N - Dark Green to right rear turn signal/brake light bulb
P - White from brake light switch
Ed

zzebby

I have the same problem.....only I took it apart sooooo many years ago that I forget how it goes together.  Does the bellville washer go in with the cone up or down?  Any other pics that are clearer?  I don't have the single round horn button,  but a large ring which follows two spokes and around the wheel center.  66 Chevelle.

ArizonaBear

Quote from: "enjenjo"some in 68, some in 69. Trucks changed in 73 Are you sure you have everything? As far as I know, they are all the same back into the early 60s as far as the horn goes. If you are using a late wheel on a 67 or earlier column, you have to use a seperate horn contact/turn signal cam.

To be precise: all GM cars sold in the USA had the ignition switch on the column by the 1969 model year with the exception of the Corvair.

And 1970; Ford, AMC, Chrysler, etc. also moved their keys to the steering column.

Now for weird: those few RHD 1969 American based GM cars sold in RSA and Australia had their ignitions on the dash.

WZ JUNK

Everything else I did today went bad so I thought I would get back to this.

I opened up today.  This is what I found.  No cancelling cam.  So I will have to make a guess as to which one it needs.  It did have a thin rubber gasket that covered this area.

The Grant tech info is no help at all.  I am just shooting in the dark until I find one of their adapters that will work.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

wayne petty

just a question....     was the cir clip, the lock plate and the turn signal cam missing????    how about the big spring on the shaft....

i would be that it takes the white one...  if you have to replace it....

but if you need the other parts....     you will need to get to the junk yard.. or a column repair guy... there are a lot of them now a days...

got a side view of the splines where the steering wheel fits on...    ones with a groove around the middle have metric threads on the steering shaft...

how many bolts holes on your steering wheel...    big in the middle.. and three   or a big circle with tiny screws like 5, 6, 7 ,holding it to the adaptor..

post a picture of your steering wheel hub.. i will look up the grant catalog and get you a proper part number...

EDIT...    looks like a grant 3196 fits from 69 to 94 chevys   might be a good place to start...

end edit

take a photograph of the parts that came off after the wheel ...  

i have seen on some columns..  a spring steel wire ring that doubles as the turn signal cam.. and the horn contact rubs on a brass circular contact on the back of the wheel...

more pictures please...

wayne...

i was surfing looking for more data..

the steering wheels with more than 3 holes.. take adaptors like the ones listed on this yahoo page..

http://shopping.yahoo.com/t-Steering-Wheels/spacer

the grant part number 2001 is also a neat thing... you get out and take the steering wheel with you...   makes it easy to work under the dash also....    and when the significant other tells you that she can drive better... unlatch it and hand her the wheel.... :lol:

WZ JUNK

Quote from: wayne pettyjust a question....     was the cir clip, the lock plate and the turn signal cam missing????    how about the big spring on the shaft....

Since this is not a locking column, I did not think it would have had the locking plate.  I may be wrong on this.

I have a Grant 3196 but I think I may need a Grant 3162

What do you think of this mess?  The picture is of what I had once I removed the steering wheel.

I attached a picture of my steering column junk pile.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

enjenjo

What you have there is a van, or pre 73 pickup column. I'll see if I can find the parts you need in my stash, and take a picture. The white cam will work, and fits over  the heavy spring over the shaft . Under the spring should be  the upper bearing inner race, and a wedge washer to hold it in place. There should be a collar on the bottom of the column shaft that keeps the shaft from coming up too far.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

a picture is worth a dozen posts........

WZ JUNK

It looks like I need a Grant #3163 adapter.  I will pick it up and the white cam this morning.

Frank, I will see what else is missing.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

wayne petty

looking at the used  column  pile....  i bet that a turn signal cam is in the black housing laying on the ground with out a steering wheel...

when you mentioned.. what year was the key in the column.. i figured it was a locking column.. i did not look close...  

i just thought i would save you a trip to the junk yard with stuff that you already have...

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "wayne petty"looking at the used  column  pile....  i bet that a turn signal cam is in the black housing laying on the ground with out a steering wheel...

when you mentioned.. what year was the key in the column.. i figured it was a locking column.. i did not look close...  

i just thought i would save you a trip to the junk yard with stuff that you already have...

I used the white turn signal cam, the #3196 Grant adapter.   I put it together today and it works.

Thanks for the help.

Grant steering wheels are not my favorite for sure.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck